Skip to main content

End to End plan for Agile coach

Last post 10:03 pm September 28, 2021 by Samuel Bello
5 replies
09:13 pm September 22, 2021

Hi,

In a recent interview, I have been asked a couple of questions for which I was trying very hard to get a proper answer

a) As an agile coach what will be your end to end plan for changing mindset of team from Waterfall to Agile

b) While doing estimation, why should we use Fibonacci series, why not simple numbers like 1,2,3,4 and so on

Can anyone help

10:30 pm September 22, 2021

a) As an agile coach what will be your end to end plan for changing mindset of team from Waterfall to Agile

I would respond that there is no such thing as an end-to-end plan for this because every team learns differently and at different paces so I would be creating the plan as I go based upon current knowledge.  In that manner I would be educating the team on how agility works and how to do accomplish the "do something, inspect it, learn, adapt as necessary" loop works.

b) While doing estimation, why should we use Fibonacci series, why not simple numbers like 1,2,3,4 and so on

The modified Fibonacci series was originally used because it progressively gets larger.  What is the real difference between a 4 and a 5 in the simple number series?  In the Fibonacci series, it is easier to understand the differences because the gap between the numbers get larger.  A difference between a 5 and an 8 is easier to understand than between a 5 and a 6. 

You also need to point out that estimation using a Fibonacci sequence is best when using relative sizing.  Is this effort more than other efforts that are estimated as a 5?  Then it would be an 8.  This doesn't mean that it will take 8 hours while the others take 5 hours.  It just means the 8 is bigger than the 5 but smaller than the 13.

But in the end, it all depends on what the team doing the estimation feels is the best method for them.  As I said before, every team is different.  So a 5 for Team A might not be the same as a 5 for Team B, no matter what scale you are using. 

11:46 pm September 22, 2021

"Interesting question. Help me to understand the timescales for that plan, and where the sense of urgency for any change at all will come from."

"Simplicity is good. Try it! Find out how well that simple scheme works out for you when deciding if something's a 10 or an 11."

02:48 pm September 23, 2021

Whilst considering the ethical questions around whether it is my 'right' to change their mindset, I would simply take the first step and see where it leads. Take the problem to the team, identify what they need, and work with the organisation to provide it. Simple.

Rather than considering the purpose of estimation as sizing work (that's still valid FYI) try changing viewpoint to simply gaining transparency and creating conversation. My general response, whenever I get asked this question, is to say 'I don't care if you size things using numbers, animals or computer models. As long as you are clear on their relative complexity and can help the Product Owner order the Product Backlog appropriately, crack on'.

I agree with Ian's point above though. Psychologically splitting a 5 and a 6 vs. a 5 and an 8 is easier. Our brains work in interesting ways.

07:03 pm September 27, 2021

An end-to-end plan for a complex task as a team's transformation would fit with how agile faces these situations? Are we respecting the first value of the agile manifesto (individuals and iterations over processes and tools) if we decide an end-to-end plan beforehand?  Wouldn't it be more proper to perform a team's transformation through an empirical approach based on continuous transparency, inspection and adaptation?

04:40 pm September 28, 2021

I totally agree with Gonzalo and Ryan.    

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.