Skip to main content

Backlog Refinement

Last post 07:39 am September 28, 2021 by Saleh Othman
3 replies
03:43 am September 23, 2021

My team generally uses Backlog Refinement session to finalize the requirements of the User story ( between BA and the P.O ) rather than enriching the requirements on the User story. Is this a correct practice to be followed ?

05:52 pm September 23, 2021

It might be better for the Developers and the Product Owner to refine work so it is ready for Sprint Planning, rather than to try and "finalize" it.

It's possible that a B.A. may be one of the Developers. But if the conversations the story represents have not yet finished with everyone, and the corresponding work delivered, it won't be final.

12:12 pm September 27, 2021

Scrum doesn't prescribe practices. It is up to each individual Scrum Team to determine how to implement the framework and whether they require any complementary practices.

Therefore if your PBR helps to create transparency and clarity then crack on. At the moment though, it sounds like it's just getting transparency between the PO and BA...rather than the whole Scrum Team.

07:39 am September 28, 2021

I agree with @Ian Mitchell. because this is how I'm coaching my team for.

During the spring my team will be very busy working on their sprint backlog, so during the refinement meeting we focus on creating and making the product backlog items more transparent so it can be ready for the next sprint.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.