Skip to main content

Self Organised Team

Last post 05:28 pm September 24, 2021 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
01:54 pm September 24, 2021

Hello All,

Hope you are doing good.

I am currently taking steps to support my team towards self organisation.

From your experience, Do you have any practical tips or ideas to achieve self organisation?

02:10 pm September 24, 2021

Reverse their questions and let them decide.  Stop yourself as the SM from making decisions for them.  Ask them how they believe something should be done. 

03:40 pm September 24, 2021

In addition to what Scott mentions, an impediment isn't an impediment if the team can solve the problem themselves. Use all your Scrum Master powers: empiricism, support, coach, facilitate, Sprint Retrospectives, time boxes, remove impediments, teach. But don't resolve unless it is an impediment.

I have a tattoo on my arm that reads "take it to the team". I highly recommend all Scrum Masters use that motto. Change your mindset to trust that a group of individuals' collective wisdom and bottoms-up intelligence are much greater than yours alone. And that they are more likely to buy into their own solutions and see them through than a solution prescribed.

03:46 pm September 24, 2021

As @ Scott Anthony Keatinge said, don't let others make decisions for them.

You should be focusing your attention on the organization outside of the team to help them understand the benefits of a self-organized team and how their actions will need to change to support them.  Encourage the team to make decisions on their own and not to expect or ask others to make them. Encourage everyone else to provide the team all the information known because no one knows what information will be important to the people doing the work.  Also encourage the team to be open about any information they have or gain.  The bilateral unfiltered sharing of information is one of the keys to teams being able to self organize. 

Remind everyone that some outcomes will be different than expected but the only failures are when no one learns from the unexpected outcomes. 

05:28 pm September 24, 2021

Do you have any practical tips or ideas to achieve self organisation?

It's a skill that has to be learned. A good Scrum Master will create bounded environments within which people can then take collaborative action.

Timeboxed activities, with a clear goal to aim for and rules to help people focus, are a good means of cultivating self-organization. Initially, you can't just leave a team to get on with it, because they don't know how to self-organize yet. This means you'll need to shine a light on potential issues and the likely consequences of their choices. A good Scrum Master will reveal but not resolve.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.