Skip to main content

Training Classes Advice

Last post 07:47 pm October 8, 2021 by Ruth Russell
4 replies
03:24 pm October 6, 2021

Apologies if this question isn't allowed - feel free to remove it!

If you could afford to pay for the Scrum Master II class (around $ 1400) would you do that over the IC Agile Coaching & Facilitation classes (both add up to around £1400/1600)?

Thanks for any advice.

11:33 pm October 7, 2021

Hi Ruth - I hesitated on giving an answer since I teach the PSM II and I have bias. But since no one responded I will share a few things. The answer depends on where you are in your journey and what skills you are looking to gain. Both courses are excellent and I learned a lot from both, and Scrum Masters can benefit from both.

As a student I've taken both the PSM II and the IC Agile bootcamp which includes the Coaching and Facilitation. Both sets of instructors were highly qualified and made both courses enjoyable.

If you love Scrum and want to improve upon what you already know, the PSM II might be for you. It isn't a pure coaching class though. The PSM II is not a class about learning new things about the Scrum Framework or its complementary practices (i.e. user stories and story points), but about deepening your understanding of its values and principles. The PSM II is a continuation of the journey into Scrum. It delves into the challenges that Scrum Masters face and reflects more deeply on how the principles and values of Scrum inform what a Scrum Master should (not) do in those situations. You'll work with other experienced Scrum Masters to learn over 30 techniques you can take back and use with your Scrum Teams right away to be an effective Scrum Master. 

For the PSM II course you should have at least a year of Scrum Master experience. There were some experienced Scrum Masters in my Coaching course, yet not everyone had Agile experience or had ever been on a Scrum team. Don't expect to hear the word Scrum in the IC Agile coaching and facilitation courses.

As I said, I am based, but if I had to choose it would be the PSM II without a doubt. 

Scrum on!

10:48 am October 8, 2021

Thanks for your input Chris, very much appreciated. 

03:31 pm October 8, 2021

I would like to have an answer to this question but I have not taken any classes as yet.  I've been able to further my knowledge and understanding by using the recommended readings provided on this site and spending time in the forums reading everyone's opinions.  

I second @Chris Belknap suggestion on pursuing the PSM II.  That is the path I took and I found it really helped me to solidify my own understanding of Scrum which helped out in pursuing other certifications and doing the actual job of Scrum Master.  

07:47 pm October 8, 2021

Thanks so much Daniel for your input.

I completely agree that the suggested reading pages and this forum are useful. I have 2 years experience as a Scrum Master in the field and passed PSM I a while back but I passed the PSPO I two weeks ago just by leveraging my experience and doing some of the recommended reading.  

I think I'll go for a PSM II class and keep up with the reading and doing.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.