Skip to main content

Is there any ETA in Sprint apart from Sprint end?

Last post 03:07 pm October 16, 2021 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
08:59 am October 16, 2021

I have recently started to work as a scrum master and I am facing the challenge in answering questions like.

• What is the ETA of the a particular story?
  • What do you mean by 2SP,3SP or likewise if there is no time frame to provide the completion date of any story and every story has to be completed by sprint end?
  • If UAT has to happen or if release has to be planned then when you say completion is end of sprint than how we plan UAT and release dates for the stories?

Any leads would help.

09:12 am October 16, 2021

Suppose 5 stories have been taken up in a story of 3 weeks, then question comes up by the Client that what is the ETA for a particular story and when UAT or release can be planned. When I say sprint end, then what is the use of estimation and what does 2SP or 5SP actually means? So how I should answer.

Thanks in advance.

02:37 pm October 16, 2021

To answer questions like these, I'd recommend checking out the Kanban Guide for Scrum Teams. Some of the flow metrics - such as cycle time and throughput - can be used to answer questions like this. If you're collecting data on past performance, you may be able to forecast when a given story is likely to be done. However, the team's workflow and Definition of Done will also have an impact, along with the team's ability to deliver continuously (or at least more frequently than once per Sprint).

If the team is unable to deliver multiple times per Sprint, then you may be in a situation where the completion is the end of the Sprint. How you plan on delivery for UAT or releasing work depends on your release and delivery processes.

02:41 pm October 16, 2021

I have recently started to work as a scrum master and I am facing the challenge in answering questions like.

• What is the ETA of the a particular story?

Why are you, as Scrum Master, being asked to forecast when something will be done? What do the people developing the product say about when something can be done?

When I say sprint end, then what is the use of estimation and what does 2SP or 5SP actually means?

Story points are a technique that might help a team forecast how much work it can get done within a sprint. They are a an ineffective indicator of when something will be done, as they say nothing about when work will begin or delays that may occur later (such as waiting for a colleague to become available).

To gain a better understanding of why this is, I recommend you watch Actionable Metrics for Predictability by Daniel Vacanti.

03:07 pm October 16, 2021

what is the use of estimation and what does 2SP or 5SP actually means? 

The essential purpose of estimation is for Developers to get their arms around how much work they can take on in a Sprint, and thereby allow a Sprint Goal to be framed and met.

How useful are Sprint Goals proving to be in your situation? Where would you say the complexity lies? It sounds as though stakeholders have clear interests in well-understood, specific, and largely decoupled things.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.