Skip to main content

How can I start scrum?

Last post 03:41 pm November 21, 2012 by Charles Bradley
5 replies
09:16 am November 13, 2012

Hello everyone, I recently start going after SCRUM knowledge to apply it inside the company that I work for, but i noticed that there are certifications that can be done, such as PSM I/II and I don't know if there are others to, so, that makes thing more interesting, judging that I'll be aiming for something greater than just implement, it will raise my interest to study it.

My main question would be, where can I find/buy material to study for those certifications? I've read some materials here, but I'm still kind of lost, everything new to me.

Thanks
André Fróes

09:43 am November 13, 2012

Hi Andre, Welcome to the world of SCRUM... a world where learning never stops and the amount of information you will read and understand will only serve to cause you to seek more information.

A good place to start is the SCRUM Guide (the official rules of scrum), however, it is important to understand that SCRUM is much more than rules, events, artifacts etc... There is the culture or mind-set to SCRUM, and for that, you would want to read up on AGILE and LEAN (in my opinion).

Alternatively, attend one of the excellent instructor facilitated courses that SCRUM.Org have certified. Last resource....this forum (and other like it), ask questions and most times, the peer experts will answer.

06:54 pm November 13, 2012

Andre,

The main thing to study for the PSM I is the Scrum Guide. After giving a thorough read of the Scrum Guide a few times, try your luck at the Scrum Open assessment (it's free, and you can take it multiple times). The Professional Scrum Foundations(PSF) class also helps you prepare for PSM I, and the course includes a free try at the PSM I assessment.

You can find a list of PSF classes here:
http://courses.scrum.org/classes/title/professional-scrum-foundations

You can find the Scrum Open assessment here:
http://www.scrum.org/Assessments/Scrum-Open-Assessment

11:54 am November 15, 2012

Thanks for the very useful information! I'll start reading it now and look for this knowledge.

01:19 am November 21, 2012

I have scored 50%, 63% and 93% (today) in my PSM open assessments. Does this mean I now prepared for the certification exam?
I have also noticed that in PSM open assessments, questions are often repeated, at least 30% of the questions appeared in all three attempts.
Are there any other PSM mock exams that I can take before I appear for certification?

03:41 pm November 21, 2012

Sunandajit,

As one person put it:

I strongly suggest that you do this open assessment as many times as you can until you consistently score 100%. You should also aim to complete it in less than 20 minutes. This is to prepare you for the Professional Scrum Master I assessment which consists of 80 questions and a time limit of only one hour.

Some of the questions in the open assessment also appear in the Professional Scrum Master I assessment so, every time you take the open assessment it’s an investment in getting ready for the Professional Scrum Master I assessment.

Start at this link: http://blog.rueedlinger.ch/2011/04/how-to-pass-professional-scrum-maste…

Be sure and read all of the comments and other links in the comments on that first page.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.