Developers holding each other accountable as professionals.

Last post 06:59 pm February 4, 2022
by Karolis Noreika
2 replies
Author

Hi 

As per the the Scrum Guide, Developers are accountable for - Holding each other accountable as professionals. Can someone please explain the meaning and idea behind this? I tried to with multiple sources but didn't find any explanation for this.

08:40 am November 11, 2021

The role is Developers, plural, for a reason. They share a joint accountability for their commitments and so if things go amiss there can be no shifting of blame or finger-pointing.

Holding each other accountable also encourages mutual respect and collaborative focus.

01:57 pm February 4, 2022

Hi Avinash, I hope my answer will still be of use to you.
I would suggest to look into RACI matrix concept - to understand what is "accountability" and what are the differences between "accountability" and "responsibility".
Further, I would suggest to think about how the team can ensure their accountability "inside-out" - meaning if the team is accountable, how the team can transfer this mindset of accountability to the rest of the organization and  "outside-in" - meaning how the organization can support accountability to the team from outside the team.

Hope my comment helps!