Skip to main content

Developers holding each other accountable as professionals.

Last post 04:04 pm May 2, 2023 by Tim Thornburg
3 replies
08:10 am November 11, 2021

Hi 

As per the the Scrum Guide, Developers are accountable for - Holding each other accountable as professionals. Can someone please explain the meaning and idea behind this? I tried to with multiple sources but didn't find any explanation for this.

08:40 am November 11, 2021

The role is Developers, plural, for a reason. They share a joint accountability for their commitments and so if things go amiss there can be no shifting of blame or finger-pointing.

Holding each other accountable also encourages mutual respect and collaborative focus.

01:57 pm February 4, 2022

Hi Avinash, I hope my answer will still be of use to you.

I would suggest to look into RACI matrix concept - to understand what is "accountability" and what are the differences between "accountability" and "responsibility".

Further, I would suggest to think about how the team can ensure their accountability "inside-out" - meaning if the team is accountable, how the team can transfer this mindset of accountability to the rest of the organization and  "outside-in" - meaning how the organization can support accountability to the team from outside the team.

Hope my comment helps!

01:19 pm May 2, 2023

Hello,

I'm at an organization that the developers managers are very hands off.

They don't look or track if the dev is getting any work done on the dev team. This falls on the dev team to bring up devs that aren't getting work done to that persons manager.

We were work remote first and so the dynamic is a little tricky. For 6 weeks now I have 1 dev who hasn't completed a project. I don't think he'll get another one done for another 2 weeks. Every time it's brought up he sometimes will own up to it "Oh sorry yeah I got distracted and then just didn't start my work and by the time I started it it was too late to have anything done this sprint." 

What do I do with that? Should I talk to his manager? The scrum guide seems to be very anti that- but for background this dev has a history of this.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.