PSM I assessment issues
I am working on the PSM I assessment and I stumbled across a few tricky questions and I would appreciate to discuss them in order to earn some feedback:
(1) Which SCRUM team member is responsible to replace or sack a development team member which performs not well?
(2) What should a SCRUM master do if the development team rejects the realization of the sprint retrospective?
(3) Is it necessary that multiple sprints for multiple SCRUM teams which work on the same product run at the very same time? And is it necessary that they integrate their increments after every sprint?
(4) Is the duration for a sprint always exactly 1 month or could it be less time as well?
I am looking forward to some interesting post and thank you guys very much in advance!
1. The Development Team is required to self-organize in order to remove its impediments. An underperforming team member should be seen in this context. There is no one team member with hiring and firing responsibilities. A Scrum Master should of course assist in the removing of impediments, but he or she is not in a position to re-organize the team directly.
2. What do you mean "rejects the realization of the sprint retrospective"? If you mean they reject having a retrospective in the first place, then the job of the Scrum Master is to coach them in the proper adoption of the Scrum process.
3. No, neither are strictly necessary according to the rules of Scrum, although these are good general practices.
4. It can be less, although on any given project each Sprint must be time-boxed to be the same length.
thank you very much for your feedback! Everything sounds pretty logical for me now with one exception:
Regarding the "hire and fire" point:
It makes definitely sense that the development team itself tries to solve problems with a particular dev. team member. According to the SCRUM rules the SCRUM muster has to support the dev. team to decide the right way. as you already mentioned.
BUT: There must be somebody (person or role) who makes the very final decision to replace or fire a team member?! Right? And who is this particular person/ role?
BTW: I am talking about the theoretical world and not how it works in the real life ;)
In theory, the Development Team will make that final decision themselves. They'd have to reach a consensus for it to happen.
I recently wrote an article which covers this matter in some detail:
Thank you very much!