Skip to main content

PSM I assessment issues

Last post 04:42 am July 4, 2013 by Francesco Gerweck
4 replies
10:18 am July 3, 2013

Hello together,

I am working on the PSM I assessment and I stumbled across a few tricky questions and I would appreciate to discuss them in order to earn some feedback:

(1) Which SCRUM team member is responsible to replace or sack a development team member which performs not well?

(2) What should a SCRUM master do if the development team rejects the realization of the sprint retrospective?

(3) Is it necessary that multiple sprints for multiple SCRUM teams which work on the same product run at the very same time? And is it necessary that they integrate their increments after every sprint?

(4) Is the duration for a sprint always exactly 1 month or could it be less time as well?

I am looking forward to some interesting post and thank you guys very much in advance!

Kind regards,

Francesco

12:26 pm July 3, 2013

1. The Development Team is required to self-organize in order to remove its impediments. An underperforming team member should be seen in this context. There is no one team member with hiring and firing responsibilities. A Scrum Master should of course assist in the removing of impediments, but he or she is not in a position to re-organize the team directly.

2. What do you mean "rejects the realization of the sprint retrospective"? If you mean they reject having a retrospective in the first place, then the job of the Scrum Master is to coach them in the proper adoption of the Scrum process.

3. No, neither are strictly necessary according to the rules of Scrum, although these are good general practices.

4. It can be less, although on any given project each Sprint must be time-boxed to be the same length.

04:20 pm July 3, 2013

Hey Ian,

thank you very much for your feedback! Everything sounds pretty logical for me now with one exception:

Regarding the "hire and fire" point:

It makes definitely sense that the development team itself tries to solve problems with a particular dev. team member. According to the SCRUM rules the SCRUM muster has to support the dev. team to decide the right way. as you already mentioned.

BUT: There must be somebody (person or role) who makes the very final decision to replace or fire a team member?! Right? And who is this particular person/ role?

BTW: I am talking about the theoretical world and not how it works in the real life ;)

06:03 pm July 3, 2013

In theory, the Development Team will make that final decision themselves. They'd have to reach a consensus for it to happen.

I recently wrote an article which covers this matter in some detail:

http://agile.dzone.com/articles/agile-teamwork-practice

04:42 am July 4, 2013

Thank you very much!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.