Skip to main content

Documenting lessons learnt

Last post 08:18 pm December 23, 2021 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
12:49 pm December 23, 2021

Scrum is based on empiricism, utilizing numerous feedback loops in the form of Events (Daily Scrum, Sprint Review, Sprint Retrospective), but feedback comes from other places too (the marketplace, etc.). Inspection gives us validation, which enables adaption. What are some concrete methods of documenting that feedback? I'd hate to lose the feedback that we work so hard for.

04:29 pm December 23, 2021

Hello Laurenz, 

I was just asking about the same thing. What kind of feedback are you referring to? The one we usually get at the end of the project from the whole team?

05:03 pm December 23, 2021
  1. Update the Product Backlog so it truly reflects the work currently believed to remain for the Product, thereby helping the Product Owner to maximize value.
  2. Improve the Definition of Done, so the potential for error and technical debt is reduced, thereby helping the Developers to better assure quality.
  3. Consider including Sprint Retrospective improvements in the Sprint Backlog, thereby helping their implementation to be visualized and managed.

08:18 pm December 23, 2021

+1 to @Ian Mitchell

I believe that the best way to document feedback is to apply it.  Honestly, will the documented feedback be useful to you 3 months after it is received?  If you apply the feedback when received, that feedback should be useless at a later date.  The reason you strive for continuous feedback is so that it can be applied and acted upon at the time it is given.  The best way I have found to do that is how @Ian Mitchell suggests. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.