Skip to main content

Sprint Planning: Who MUST be present?

Last post 01:10 am July 16, 2013 by Sanjay Saini
4 replies
08:26 am July 4, 2013

Hi, i am trying to understand the Scrum guide and how it should be done in the ideal Scrum world and I don't quite get it when it comes to who has to be present at the sprint planning.
In reality, I was told by colleagues that the product owner is only present at the first part and then the developers do the second part on their own, with the scrum master not being present at any time (only ensuring the planning is hold, like with the daily scrum), but in the guide it is said something about the whole Scrum team. So should everyone be there the whole time or maybe the product owner only at the first part? He is only needed for some clarifications that could not have been made in the first part, isn't he?
I also do not get the task of the Scrum Master at this point of time, could you please help me with that?

10:47 am July 4, 2013

From my point of view, all the scrum team have to be there at the first part at least.

- The scrum master have to ensure the event is fluent, ensure that the PO and development team talk communicates efficiently. Ensure that the sprint goal is defined and clear...
- The development team have to select the PDI that can be done in the sprint.
- The PO have to communicate the sprint goal and describe PBI.

The development team can have to deal with the PO to select PBIs

During the second part, the PO can pass but the development team will probably have to catch her for getting answers or agreements.

I hope, I helped you...

02:59 am July 5, 2013

Concerning this part:

[...] with the scrum master not being present at any time (only ensuring the planning is hold, [...]

I strongly disagree. I would always encourage the scrum master to be present doing all scrum related meetings. Sometimes as facilitator, sometimes as "active observer" - depending on which state the team is in (in general the more experienced the team gets and the more "high performance" the team is the less the scrum master has to interfere).

The scrum master has to be present at the meetings in order to fulfill the role which among other things are the responsibility to constantly adapt and improve the working methods and the progress for the team.

BR,
Ole

02:02 pm July 5, 2013

The entire Scrum Team (Development Team, Scrum Master, and Product Owner) need to be present during Sprint Planning. The Scrum Guide is quite clear about this: "This plan is created by the collaborative work of the entire Scrum Team".

The Guide also says that "The Product Owner may be present during the second part of the Sprint Planning Meeting to clarify the selected Product Backlog items and to help make trade-offs".

In other words, the Product Owner does not *have* to be present during the second part of planning. This is because the second part considers how the work will be done, which is not the Product Owner's responsibility.

This is usually interpreted as meaning that the Product Owner does not have to be physically present during Sprint Planning Part 2, but should be contactable in the event that scope clarification is needed. "Contactable" is taken to mean telephone, videoconferencing, or some other medium that permits a discussion of appropriate quality within the available time-box.

01:10 am July 16, 2013

Yep, I also agree that whole scrum team should be present during the first half. PO can leave the meeting for 2nd half but he should be available for answering any queries and clarification.

I believe team can invite others, outside of their team for 2nd half in case of any external dependency or clarification.

Cheers
Sanjay

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.