Skip to main content

How to know the number of sprints to deliver an IT project ?

Last post 01:54 pm December 25, 2021 by Balaji Dhamodaran
3 replies
06:16 pm December 24, 2021

Hi all,

I'm an old Project Manager that start his conversion to become a Scrum Master. In my new organisation, all is about predictive, Scrum has been introduced recently and for me, to start a new project from scratch I need to know how much scrum should the scrum team perform to deliver the project.

In my lecture, I learned that the velocity will be adjusted as the team learn and adapt from the previous sprint, I understand that, but for my organisation, we still need a predictive planning to start a project, the execution phase could be within sprints.

Thanks a lot for your help

11:59 pm December 24, 2021

In my new organisation, all is about predictive, Scrum has been introduced recently 

I'd suggest that if Scrum had been introduced, this would no longer be the case. Scrum is about establishing empiricism under complex conditions and becoming predictable rather than predictive.

The first step to introducing Scrum is the realization that the organization will need to change, and the higher-ups need to communicate a sense of urgency for this to happen.

12:40 am December 25, 2021

On the spectrum from predictive to adaptive, Scrum is closer to the adaptive side. By choosing to adopt Scrum, or nearly any agile method, the organization is saying that it is better to be adaptive to a changing environment than trying to predict what is happening and accounting for the likely possibilities. If you aren't going to be adaptive, Scrum would add a lot of adaption points that would be overhead to a predictive organization. Although some planning up-front is good, you should abandon big-planning-up-front and take a more iterative, incremental, and adaptive approach.

01:54 pm December 25, 2021

Scrum framework can enable the teams to predict the product/service to meet the market expectation by executing in iterations but not to predict a strict end time for entire scope. If your organisation wants to pre plan the end timeline and use Scrum for execution, there are chances  the teams, stakeholders to blame Scrum as not right fit for them as it may not be fully leveraged to its intended purpose. 

Starting with a Product goal to achieve in a timeframe and allocating a flexible budget for that target could be good start. About velocity, that is a different topic to debate.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.