Skip to main content

Take home case study

Last post 11:36 pm January 3, 2022 by Mario De Caerlé
3 replies
06:56 pm December 31, 2021

Hi Members,

I am here to get some expert advice on preparing presentation for a take home case study.

Here is the case-

A cross-functional team with all the required skills to deliver end to end along with a junior product owner is aligned with an engineering manager who is new.

What measures would you take to set the team for success?

What are other eqipments that qre needed to be taken care?

Which KPIs would you track? Which methods will you utilize to collect KPI data?

How would you measure team and your own performance?

07:48 pm December 31, 2021

I'd wonder what a "junior" Product Owner was, how they would really be accountable, and why a cross-functional team would need engineering to be managed by another authority.

I'd look for a sponsor who recognizes that there is an organizational gravity to be overcome.

Since I don't even know my own role, I'd wonder why I am expected to determine equipment, KPIs, and other measures, and why I am expected to perform anything that could be measured at all.

06:04 am January 1, 2022

Hi Ian,

Thanks a ton for your time and help.

Few things I missed to add in my original post.

Case is presented to the scrum master of the team. Team's PO is inexperienced (aka junior).

Hope this will make better sense now.

11:36 pm January 3, 2022

junior product owner [...] engineering manager who is new.

Teach then about Scrum and their Accountability/role. Help them doing it right.

What measures would you take to set the team for success?

Teach them about Scrum, make sure they understand the values and why we do what we do. Start with things like "what is an item?", Definition of Done, Definition of Workflow, Definition of Ready (start with the first 2, decide whether you need the latter 2).

What are other equipment that are needed to be taken care?

The team need the equipment they use for their work. If software development, add version control/CI/CD; if not software development, whatever equipment they need to develop the product.

Which KPIs would you track? Which methods will you utilize to collect KPI data?

Sprint Goal.

And if that works, look at EBM and see what works for your team.

If you use Kanban: Cycle Time, Throughput, Average Work Item Age and use the SLE with Work Item Aging.

How would you measure team and your own performance?

Why measure performance? Is the team happy, are you happy, are the stakeholders, users, customers happy? Measure that. I guess it's measuring performance?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.