Skip to main content

Product Backlog Management as defined in Scrum Guide

Last post 01:41 pm August 11, 2013 by Ian Mitchell
1 reply
04:10 pm August 9, 2013

Scrum Friends,

I have a question related to the 'Product Backlog Management' section under 'Product Owner' section of the Scrum Guide(Page 5). The guide mentions that Product Backlog Management' includes

"Optimizing the value of the work the Development Team performs".

How does this relate to the opening statement 'The Product Owner is responsible for maximizing the value of the product and the work of the Development Team."

While I understand how the Product Owner maximizes the value of the product by clearly expressing Product Backlog Items and ordering them based on value, I feel that the statement "Optimizing the value of the work the Development Team performs" is redundant - I think I am obviously missing something as it is included in the guide for a reason.

Does anyone have insight or a different interpretation on this?

Thanks,
Dinesh

01:41 pm August 11, 2013

I think there is a subtle difference, in so far as maximizing and optimizing aren't quite the same thing. Optimization is more about the value stream (think about what gets challenged in a Sprint Retrospective) while maximizing value is more about the product (think about what is assessed in a Sprint Review).

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.