Skip to main content

How scrum framework could improve coperate and individual productivity and development

Last post 02:19 pm January 21, 2022 by Kurotamunoye Briggs
7 replies
06:09 pm January 13, 2022

Discuss how people can apply the scrum framework to aid productivity and contineous improvement in individuals

06:56 pm January 13, 2022

I think that might be happening already in this forum. Also a few books may have been written about this.

08:54 pm January 13, 2022

Using the scrum framework to manage work and personal development

This article would cover the following:

• Definition of scrum
  • The Scrum framework
  • Applying scrum framework to work and personal development
  • Summary
  • Conclusion

Definition of scrum

Scrum is a framework within which people can address complex adaptive problems, while productively and creatively delivering products of the highest possible value.

The Scrum framework

Scrum is founded on empirical process control theory, or empiricism which asserts that knowledge comes from experience and making decisions based on what is known.

The framework is made up of the following:

• 3 Pillars of scrum: Transparency, Inspection and Adaptation
  • 3 Artifacts: Product backlog, Sprint backlog and Increment
  • 3 Commitments: Product goal, Sprint goal and definition of done
  • 3 Roles: Scrum master, Product Owner and Developers
  • 5 Event: Sprint planning, Daily scrum, Sprint review, Sprint retrospective and Sprint
  • 5 Values: Focus, Respect, Commitment, Courage and Openness

Applying the scrum framework to work and personal development

A software is basically developed as a product to provide a service, imagine yourself as a “Product” which offers “Services” in return of your “Needs”.

Your needs typically are physiological needs, emotional needs, social needs,

Security needs, entertainment, comfort, luxury etc. And Services we offer include: our time and effort, our skills & expertise in our business or profession or employment to create products or offerings which are of use/value to others (customers) for their needs. So, we are the “Product” & also the “Product Owner” in this instance.

Product Vision:

For every potential product to be successful, it is crucial to understand the vision of the product. Product Vision or the Product Vision Statement is a description of the essence of your product: what are the problems it is solving, for whom, and why now is the right time to build it.

Product Vision Attributes

Scrum uses the three artifacts and three commitments to help manage and achieve the product vision

Product goal/product backlog

The product backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in a product based on the product goal. It is constantly evolving and is never complete.

Creating the backlog

• Customer feedback: feedback from your boss, co-workers etc. for work and feedback from spouse, family, friends, and relatives on the personal front.
  • Aspirational Improvements: These are our personal goals and aspirations according to our vision for professional and personal development, new skills, expertise, knowledge etc. that we want to acquire or accomplish in life.
  • To Do’s: Experiences we want to have. e.g., food or travel related, hobbies etc.
  • Operational Improvements: Maintaining or Improving our health and fitness, installing new habits, un-installing bad/wrong habits. More on this later.

Example of backlog: achieve level 2 ITIL certification, Improve exercise frequency from 2-3 days/week to 4 days/week.

Sprint goal/sprint backlog

The sprint backlog is a list of everything that the team commits to achieve in each sprint. Items from the product backlog are selected and put in the sprint backlog where they are broken down to task to be completed within a defined time. Example, complete 1 lesson/week of my level 2 ITIL Course

Definition of done/increment

At the end of every sprint(duration), there should be a review session (sprint review) where you check if what you have accomplished meets their agreed-upon definition of done.

Daily Scrum

• We should have a personal daily meeting every morning with ourselves and review the sprint plan for the day and the tasks to be accomplished.
  • Don’t just focus on personal tasks in the personal daily meeting.
  • Review the calendar and schedule time for the tasks for the day. Schedule all the time possible or else others will schedule their tasks into your time 

Retrospectives

A quick daily retrospective every evening, in solitude is very effective although one can also do weekly or monthly retrospective We should objectively review:

• What went well today?
  • What did not go well?
  • Status of today’s accomplishments.
  • If there are spill overs, then move them to the next day or time appropriately.
  • Record any learnings or observations

Summary

See the source image

Conclusion

There’s a Japanese philosophy known as Kaizen which states that you should be on an

everlasting search for improvement. It is to simply, identify small ways to make things better, and then put those ideas into action. Kaizen is the foundation of Agile which is where scrum is founded.

Thank you

06:21 am January 14, 2022

Scrum makes visible the relative efficacy of current management, environment, and work techniques, so that improvements can be made.Various processes, techniques and methods can be employed within the framework.

02:02 pm January 14, 2022

I don't fully understand what you are looking for. Are you trying to understand how individuals can apply the Scrum framework for themselves? Or are you looking to understand how to allow individuals working on a Scrum Team to continually improve themselves?

Scrum isn't suitable for individuals. Although some of the practices - timeboxed iterations, setting aside specific time for planning, regular replanning, review and alignment, and improvement - may help individuals, the Scrum framework as a whole is designed for a team. Trying to enact all of Scrum as an individual will be very difficult and probably wasteful, if you stick to exactly what is in the Scrum Guide.

If you're interested in how individuals on a Scrum Team can improve themselves, consider that a Scrum Team is self-organizing and self-managing. They also pull work into each iteration. It's up to the team to determine what their capacity for work is. That means is up to them to make sure that they are leaving enough room in their plan for potential unplanned work, refinement of upcoming work, and continuous improvement at a team and individual level. If continuous improvement is important to the team, the team will set aside some of their capacity for this. If it's not important, then they won't. If an individual thinks that setting aside time for continuous improvement is important but the team, as a whole, doesn't, then that could be a useful discussion at a Sprint Retrospective.

11:47 am January 21, 2022

@thomas, thanks for your response, emphasy is on how individuals can apply the Scrum framework for themselves not as a team. I put this up together when I did a presentation to my organisation to encourage them to engage in self development while also running with the company-wide vision. I also agree with you that the framework is not suitable for individuals but some of it could help them self-develop.

Thank you @Ian as well for contributing, I also agree that there a books on it.

12:30 pm January 21, 2022

emphasy is on how individuals can apply the Scrum framework for themselves not as a team. 

I'd suggest that it is more specifically the Scrum values which individuals ought to apply for themselves, and that by doing so they then enable the team.

02:19 pm January 21, 2022

@Ian sir, I get your point, but as I mentioned earlier, this content was not for the scrum team. I used it to talk to everyone in my organization at the end of last year to encourage them to focus on balancing personal development and commitment to organization-wide goals which I think some conponents of the framwork(including the scrum values you mentioned) helps with.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.