Skip to main content

Definition of Done - per product or per organization?

Last post 08:51 am October 9, 2013 by Ian Mitchell
7 replies
01:33 pm October 8, 2013

Hello everyone! =D

I'm a newbie in Scrum and I have a newbie question:

The Definition of Done is per product or each project of the organization mas share the same?

Thanks for the attention!

02:12 pm October 8, 2013

Definition of Done is per team. This is because each team must effectively own its process, and thereby be able to take every item in its Sprint Backlog through to completion.

When multiple teams collaborate on the release of a single product, they must share the same Definition of Done (or at least a common and valuable subset) so that the release will be of a known quality.

03:27 pm October 8, 2013

Understood, thanks Ian!

03:36 pm October 8, 2013

Nissivm,

This changed recently in the new Scrum Guide, and essentially the DoD is per product, though it can also be influenced by the development org.

From the Scrum Guide:
"If the definition of "done" for an increment is part of the conventions, standards or guidelines of the development organization, all Scrum Teams must follow it as a minimum. If "done" for an increment is not a convention of the development organization, the Development Team of the Scrum Team must define a definition of “done” appropriate for the product. If there are multiple Scrum Teams working on the system or product release, the developer teams on all of the Scrum Teams must mutually define the definition of “Done.”"

04:12 pm October 8, 2013

Hi Mr. Bradley, thanks for answering,

Indeed I saw this in the Scrum Guide, but I still was in doubt if each product could have a specific DoD (if it wasn't a little excessive) or if the DoD should be not specific, applicable to every project. Now is all clear. Just learned more for the PSM I assessement!

04:08 am October 9, 2013

Strictly speaking I suppose - and this is being an absolute pedant - a Definition of Done is per Sprint. This is because it is subject to revision by a Scrum Team during the Sprint Retrospective. They could effectively replace their DoD entirely if they considered it to be appropriate for the product and the organization.

On another note, perhaps there is a slight inconsistency in the Guide. It says "...the Development Team of the Scrum Team must define a definition of “done” appropriate for the product". Yet in a Retrospective, it is says "...the Scrum Team plans ways to increase product quality by adapting the definition of 'Done' as appropriate". Surely it is always the full Scrum Team including the Product Owner, and not just the Development Team, who both define and adapt the DoD.

08:24 am October 9, 2013

I think you're right Ian, but I would reformulate saying that the DoD is per product, BUT the DoD evolves through out the project, sprint after sprint, during Sprint Retrospective, as the guide says "by adapting the definition of 'Done' as appropriate".

08:51 am October 9, 2013

Yes, that seems to be a fair and accurate statement. I think it expresses it better than the guide or my pedantry.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.