Skip to main content

Who is responsable by the burndownchart ?

Last post 03:24 am November 9, 2013 by Christian Nicoll
5 replies
09:55 pm October 16, 2013

hello guys i have a doubt, whto is responsable by the burndownchart: Scrum Master, Product Owner or Dev Team ?

11:00 pm October 16, 2013

I believe this has been asked couple of time. My comment would be - Dev team is responsible for updating the remaining work and the burndown chart should be generated out of it, so the responsibility lies with Dev team.

Cheers
Sanjay

11:45 am October 17, 2013

thx Sanjay Saini.

11:25 am November 4, 2013

I'd say the answer depends on which burndown you're talking about. For example:

Sprint Burndown : Development Team
Release Burndown : Product Owner

07:53 am November 6, 2013

Hi Derek,

i'am newbie in scrum, then can you explain the difference between both?

03:24 am November 9, 2013

While a Sprint the Development Team works on several Product Backlog Items (PBIs) which were picked-up before in the Sprint Planning Meeting from Product Backlog. Inside of a PBI the development Team usually defines some Tasks which are required to finish this PBI, bring it to "done". Now, when the Development Teams finishes a task, then the work-left for the Sprint is smaller than before. With an Sprint Brundown Chart (Example: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Burndown_Chart_of_Agilo_for_Scru…) this can be visualized and make transparent.

On the other side the Product Owner has to observe the whole Product Backlog with all PBIs, and so the work-left, independent of the current Sprint. So how is here the Progress over the project duration? How much work-left for the project? With the help of the Release Burndown Chart can be the left-effort over all Sprints be visualized.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.