Skip to main content

Interesting Scrum Question

Last post 11:57 am September 10, 2014 by Alper Gurbuz
4 replies
01:09 pm November 4, 2013

I came across an interesting question in the PSD Open Assessment that asks what the Development Team should do if, within the Sprint, they discover that they cannot complete all the Product Backlog Items that they took in to the Sprint.

I immediately searched for an answer that said something like "The Development Team should meet with the Product Owner and re-negotiate the content of the Sprint Backlog" but no such answer was available.

The answer that is returned as correct is "Raise it as an impediment with the Scrum Master". And I can sort of see where that answer comes from but it doesn't seem like the right answer, just the best of a bad set of options.

I wonder what others think?

11:50 am November 7, 2013

The answer that is returned as correct does seem to be the best one.

It is better that a Scrum Master resolves a problem, and that the planned Sprint is thereby able to complete, than it is to involve the Product Owner and re-negotiate the content of the Sprint Backlog. The Scrum Master should therefore be notified of any impediment as soon as possible.

03:13 pm November 11, 2013

Even when I thought immediately the same -reach for the PO and renegotiate the Sprint Backlog- seems that the correct answer makes sense. As a ScrumMaster, we should look for any impediments that are blocking the Scrum Dev team to work in time, we don't even know why they are not completing the items in the current Sprint.

If the ScrumMaster is able to remove thos blockers and the team feels much better now, everything can continue 'normally'; in the other hand, if the ScrumMaster isn't still able to remove those blockers and the Dev Team feels the work can't be done, they can work with the PO. Remember that PO makes decisions sometimes with an imput from Devs Team or ScrumMaster.

06:34 pm November 11, 2013

Hi Derek,

it is really the most generic and in any case I see it as correct. If you simply states that the team can not complete all user stories, the team must create an impediment and is the Scrum Master who must face and try to solve it. Depending on the reason which hinders complete user stories Scrum Master may or may not resolve the impediment. In the case that the impediment is a bad estimate, the Product Owner must be notified and the scope of the user stories would be renegotiated between the PO and the development team.

Regards.

11:57 am September 10, 2014

This doesn't seem to be an impediment and isn't anything to do with SM I reckon.
It should be discussed between DT and PO

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.