Skip to main content

Shifting from sales background to Scrum Master

Last post 04:11 pm February 15, 2022 by Daniel Wilhite
2 replies
08:25 pm February 14, 2022

I am working in sales field for 10 years, recently I started studying and read about Agile and I am interested to join the tech world by starting as a Scrum Master, I asked a lot of experienced SMs and most of them believe it will difficult to make this shifting as I have no software development background, I know the basics about SDLC starting from requirements and user needs and feedback, user stories, designs, development and testing, and to the deployment and integration.

I am preparing to pass the PSM, and I am almost ready now, I follow scrum.org especially blog and forum, it's really awesome to gain the knowledge about the real situations and I do some readings about Software development overall to be aware about the whole cycle.

Will be happy to listen ur advice

08:35 am February 15, 2022

I'd suggest that wanting to "join the tech world" might not be a good reason to become a Scrum Master.

Wishing to achieve more valuable, innovative and sustainable outcomes in your present field of sales, however, could very well be.

04:11 pm February 15, 2022

I am interested to join the tech world by starting as a Scrum Master,

Honestly, a Scrum Master is not part of the "tech world".  A Scrum Master is someone that works with people trying to solve complex problems by using the empirical nature of the Scrum framework. Scrum Masters work in many different disciplines. I have known Scrum Masters that worked with event planning teams, Human Resources organizations, video production, and even publishing of documentation. 

I also disagree with your "experienced SMs" that having software development experience is a prerequisite to being a good Scrum Master in the "tech world".  I coached an individual that made the transition from company receptionist to Scrum Master and that individual was highly respected by a team doing software development.  

I would suggest that if you are set on joining the "tech world" you rethink your reasoning and find a path that will be successful.  Technology is not just software development.  You might be able to find another area of technology that would be easier for you to transition into.  If you are set on becoming a Scrum Master for a software development, then do it.  It will not be easy and you will most definitely take a cut in compensation but it is your dream and decision to make.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.