Skip to main content

Do you need to understand product as a Scrum Master

Last post 04:33 pm February 20, 2022 by Scott Anthony Keatinge
3 replies
04:12 pm February 18, 2022

Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking time to read my post. I come from background of being a scrum master in industries where the product was quite comprehensive. I now am a scrum master for a product where it deals with extremely technical and financial heavy product. At times, I am in backlog refinement and sprint planning where I am unable to pick up what the developers are talking about. Sometimes, its hard for me to identify blockers because the language of the developers is extremely technical and financial. I am not able to help convey messages between different people because I know I will not make sense. All materials in the organization are presnted to someone as if they come from a financial background. What are some suggestions in being a scrum master who holds knowledge in Scrum but struggles with the lingo of the development team? How are you supposed to help remove impediments if you arent able to grasp these technical impediments and what they mean?

09:10 pm February 18, 2022

Does your team expecting you to help remove technical impediments by knowing functional and technical details ?

12:02 am February 19, 2022

Balaji, they expect to remove functionsl blockers atleast. They are expecting for me to understand atleast whats going on. Its hard for me to communicate or understand anything without knowing that lingo 

04:33 pm February 20, 2022

One of the best SMs I have met had no technical knowledge what so ever; however, they used to be a teacher and that experience allowed him to have all other qualities that a SM requires. 

You should schedule some time with the PO so that they can explain the product to you if you wish to start understanding it at a high level. 

As a SM, you should be giving the developers direction so that they can resolve the majority of impediments themselves, especially around technical issues. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.