Skip to main content

What happened for sprint if a member of team finished his task early?

Last post 08:43 pm March 9, 2022 by Daniel Wilhite
2 replies
12:50 pm March 9, 2022

Hi

Problem 1

I create a sprint with 8 days.

A member of team finished his tasks after 6 days.

So, What happened for this guy and 2 days for his?!

2- Problem 2

I want to start 2 story.

One of them takes time about 10 days.

And another of them takes time about 4 days.

How can I manage it?

Thank you

07:55 pm March 9, 2022

Problem 1

Beats me. Maybe he goes on vacation, or helps the others with their tasks. Whatever the truth, a good Scrum Team will self-organize their work to best meet their commitments.

2- Problem 2

I want to start 2 story.

How can I manage it?

You don't, but the team does.

What matters is that a team collaborates to provide a Done increment that achieves the Sprint Goal.

08:43 pm March 9, 2022

Short answer to both of your problems is that the Scrum Team needs to provide solutions to these problems and you should not be dictating how they work. 

Problem 1

The first part of this that I think is a problem is that you created a sprint.  The Scrum Team should be creating the sprints and planning the work.  They should work together to complete all of the work that is needed in order to achieve the Sprint Goal.  They should not plan 8 hours a day worth of work for every team member.  They should plan work that will provide a valuable increment that satisfies the Sprint Goal.  

As for what that one guy does for 2 days, that is totally up to him and the team.  In all of the teams I have ever worked with, there is usually something that they can do that either helps the rest of the team satisfy the Sprint Goal or helps to refine items that are in the Product Backlog.

2- Problem 2

I want to start 2 story.

How can I manage it?

Again, the first problem I see is that you want to start 2 stories.  Unless you are a developer, that isn't something you decide.  As this section of the Scrum Guide states  the Sprint Backlog is a plan by and for the Developers.  They are the ones that decide what work will be done during the Sprint in order to satisfy the Sprint Goal.  The section of the Scrum Guide that describes the Product Backlog mentions this

Product Backlog items that can be Done by the Scrum Team within one Sprint are deemed ready for selection in a Sprint Planning event. They usually acquire this degree of transparency after refining activities. Product Backlog refinement is the act of breaking down and further defining Product Backlog items into smaller more precise items. This is an ongoing activity to add details, such as a description, order, and size. Attributes often vary with the domain of work.

If your sprints are 8 days, then your team needs to refine the product backlog items into work that can be completed in 8 days or less.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.