Skip to main content

How to convince the Team for SCRUM

Last post 06:36 pm August 5, 2022 by Daniel Wilhite
6 replies
01:13 pm March 18, 2022

Dear Community,

How can I convince and encourage a team to change into SCRUM frame work from classical way. Can I have some concrete benefits (personally, short and long run) to convince them?

Thanks and Regards

Nidhin

11:12 pm March 18, 2022

How important is it for them to build the right thing at the right time? If they don't do so, what are the likely consequences?

11:50 pm March 18, 2022

What problem would you hope to solve by encouraging the team to change their way of working to align with the Scrum framework? I'd recommend starting there. Once you understand the problem that you are trying to solve, the next step would be to determine if Scrum is even an appropriate framework to consider. Perhaps other frameworks or methodologies would be just as or more appropriate.

01:51 pm March 19, 2022

As pointed out above, understand the problem first and then talk about how this new way of working might be better. Many teams working in waterfall already have the battle scars you can leverage. And many companies are being disrupted by emerging startups eating away at their margins, and need to find better ways to innovate and focus on more valuable outcomes. Tesla and Lemonade come to mind in the insurance industry, disrupting 100 year old companies with AI, Chatbots and other technology. Invite them to give it a try rather than forcing it on them.

02:25 pm March 21, 2022

I'm going to take a slightly different approach with my answer.   But I agree with the previous comments that understanding the problems that are being faced is the first thing that you need to do. 

Why do you think a single team would be successful using the Scrum framework when none others in the organization are?  When transforming organizations to agile, you need to start at the top.  That is a transformation.  If you start with a single team, that is more like a revolution.  And history shows how difficult revolutions can be.  

Back to knowing the problem trying to be addressed, if many teams are facing the same or similar problems then you might have a much better chance of getting the senior management and people outside of the technology group to attempt a change.  

03:01 am August 5, 2022

Hi ,

Good highlights on above topic but there is always room for improvement and convinceing team that they need Scrum master .

can you help me ways by real experience How do you convince a team that they need a scrum master ?

really straight question but looking for exp talk.

06:36 pm August 5, 2022

Remember that the Scrum Guide does not describe job titles or provide job descriptions.  It has a list of 3 responsibilities.  Those responsibilities are crucial for success with the Scrum framework.  

So, you don't convince a team that they need someone with the Scrum Master title.  You help the team understand the responsibilities of a Scrum Master and the benefits that those responsibilities provide.  Then work with the team to identify who on the team will fulfill those responsibilities.  It could be shared among multiple people on the team.  Many practitioners advocate that there be someone solely allocated to fulfill those responsibilities and I usually do for teams new to the framework. But I have worked with a number of well established, self-managing, self-organizing teams that did not need a dedicated person because the entire team shared the responsibilities of the Scrum Master. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.