Skip to main content

Scrum Team Training

Last post 06:32 pm April 1, 2022 by Esther Sekiziyivu
3 replies
11:57 am March 31, 2022

There are no breaks between sprints. Team members may need training at some point to improve skill sets. At what point do trainings come in? Is it at retrospective meetings?  

12:24 pm March 31, 2022

At what point do trainings come in?

Continually, because we are always learning. If there's a training course to go on, it must happen during a Sprint at some point, since there are indeed no gaps between them. As such it ought to be considered during Sprint Planning, either by explicitly defining it as work in the Sprint Backlog which the team can then monitor, or by reserving capacity for that training which they manage separately.

04:48 pm March 31, 2022

No where in the Scrum Guide does it say that work in a Sprint must consume 8 hours a day for each team member.  I'm going to paraphrase what I understand so this is my opinion. 

A Sprint is time boxed to make planning easier and to have consistent delivery of value.  Sprint Planning is where the team decides how much work can be completed during that time box that will deliver specific value as defined by the Sprint Goal based upon any restrictions that they are faced with. 

When you are planning a Sprint, you account for people to have time to eat lunch every day.  You account for them to attend company wide meetings.  You account for them to be on vacation.   So why can't you account for them to attend/complete training?  The company I work for currently requires specific compliance courses because we are working in a government regulated industry.  We know when those courses are required and account for them.  

Stop trying to plan work that will keep people busy 8 hours a day.  Instead plan work that delivers value to the stakeholders in ways that allow for empirical knowledge and adaption to take place. 

06:32 pm April 1, 2022

Thank you very much for this clarification. It was really confusing at what point team members would need to complete training. I appreciate these insights.  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.