Skip to main content

Scrum Masters expanding from Scrum

Last post 06:25 pm April 11, 2022 by René Gysenbergs
4 replies
07:43 pm April 8, 2022

There is some talk and a trend in my country about Scrum  Masters taking on more frameworks with their teams such as Kanban. What should be call ourselves if that is the case? Agile Facilitator is one example — which, I feel undercuts the value of the whole role. Does anyone recommend an alternative?

I do not see any reason why a Scrum Master cannot coach Kanban, so what would be the community’s feedback be on this?

Luke 

12:30 am April 9, 2022

"Scrum Master" refers to a set of accountabilities on a Scrum Team. There's no reason why someone who is fulfilling those accountabilities for a team cannot know Kanban or other methods or frameworks and incorporate those into a team using Scrum. However, if the team decides that Scrum is no longer appropriate, then perhaps they should consider a different name for the role. If the person is knowledgeable about a number of different agile frameworks, then perhaps "Agile Coach" is a good name.

04:49 am April 9, 2022

There is some talk and a trend in my country about Scrum  Masters taking on more frameworks with their teams such as Kanban. What should be call ourselves if that is the case?

From what you describe a Scrum Master would have work to do. Any such decisions ought to be clearly understood and made by the team.

07:45 am April 11, 2022

Thank you for your insights, I will explore these with my teams.

Luke

06:25 pm April 11, 2022

Depends on the Agile framework:

- if I'm working primarily with the Scrum framework, I'm the Scrum Master,

- if I'm working primarily with the Kanban framework, I'm the (Kanban) Service Delivery Manager,

- if I'm working primarily with the DSDM framework, I'm the DSDM Coach,

- if I'm working primarily with the eXtreme Programming framework, I'm the XP Instructor,

and

- if I'm working with several (minimum 3) frameworks, I'm the Agile Coach.

AND the most important thing to remember is that the title doesn't matter at all,

I've hold the title of Scrum Master in companies where there was only Kanban with XP.

It really doesn't matter so long you know, understand and can teach/coach/mentor under the Agile framework that has been implemented at your client's company.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.