Skip to main content

Sprint Goal definition

Last post 01:08 pm April 19, 2022 by Juan Tercero Sanjur
5 replies
10:43 pm April 18, 2022

Hi all, 

My team's backlog consists mostly of epics of "value deliveries" which are improvements or new functionalities to the product that we complete every 2 weeks. Our sprint goal is usually the value delivery, so if we are going a add a Buy now button to our products page, that would be our Sprint goal .. "Add Buy now button to products page to improve the customer experience .... "

We then struggle when it comes to a value delivery that takes more than 1 sprint, lets say 2 sprints (of 2 weeks each) ... How can we define properly the sprint goal that makes sense as on the first sprint are are partially done with the functionality?   Do we use the same sprint goal of each sprint?  Can you advise?

thank you

12:07 am April 19, 2022

If your "epics" are your Product Backlog Items, why do any of them take more than one Sprint to complete? Consider this statement from the Scrum Guide:

Product Backlog items that can be Done by the Scrum Team within one Sprint are deemed ready for selection in a Sprint Planning event.

There are some things that you're doing that are a bit unusual or uncommon, but not necessarily wrong or bad. For example, most teams that I've worked with had Product Backlog Items that represent things that can be completed in a couple of days, rather than a large item that takes the full Sprint. In cases like this, the Sprint Goal is helpful since it focuses the team on the subset of selected Product Backlog Items that are most important or valuable to the stakeholder. But in the case where you have items that represent value, I can see the struggle in crafting a Sprint Goal that is separate from the Product Backlog Item.

12:53 am April 19, 2022

Thanks for your reply. Sorry if i explained myself wrong.  The epics are the delivery value and inside there are the user stories to complete it.  But for some epics we have stories that will take more than 1 sprint to complete so we struggle to get what the sprint goal should be

03:22 am April 19, 2022

The epics are the delivery value and inside there are the user stories to complete it

That's an "epic" leap-of-faith before value will be delivered. The risk of value not being maximized will then be considerable for a complex product with many unknowns.

If valuable work cannot be completed in a Sprint it is not ready for Sprint Planning. The user stories you describe are not well formed, since their value is unclear, and no valuable Sprint Goal can then be agreed out of them.

Assuming the product is complex enough to justify the use of Scrum in the first place, what you've described isn't so much a Sprint Goal problem, but an issue refining the backlog for that product.

11:34 am April 19, 2022

Scrum doesn't make distinctions between "epics" and "user stories" - there are only Product Backlog Items. On top of that, the concept of "epic" isn't well-defined - primarily, I've seen it used to refer to a container for other work and as an unrefined user story.

I would recommend a few things.

First, define what your Product Backlog Item is. Each Product Backlog Item should represent a change needed to improve the product.

Then, make sure that refinement is happening and that, through the act of refinement and before Sprint Planning, the Product Backlog Items that the team is working on are things that can be completed within one Sprint.

Once you have well-refined Product Backlog Items, you can craft Sprint Goals and select Product Backlog Items based on the team's ability to take on and complete work, or the team's capacity. Crafting a goal and choosing the Product Backlog Items to support that goal is an iterative process.

01:08 pm April 19, 2022

Thank you.  I think i have a good idea on how to start improving.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.