Skip to main content

Correct Steps For Product Owner?

Last post 05:54 pm April 22, 2022 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
08:45 pm April 21, 2022

I'm new to the Product Owner scene and want to know the strategic & tactical steps for a Product Owner as recommended

1. Product Vision (Undisputed)
  2. Product Goal OR Product Strategy OR Product Roadmap
  3. Then whats next step from the steps above

So is it ?

1. Product Vision
  2. Product Goal
  3. Product Strategy
  4. Product Roadmap
  5. Release Plan
  6. Product Backlog
  7. Sprint Backlog

What Order should the above be in ?

03:54 pm April 22, 2022

Talking about an order and steps seems to imply you're looking for a strict sequence. I don't think that exists. There will be feedback loops. It would probably be better to look at levels of abstraction, where creating, achieving (or failing to achieve), or modifying more detailed goals and plans informs the higher level goals and plans.

It's also not necessarily clear exactly how you define these different things. For example, I don't see much (if any) of a distinction between a product vision and a product goal. I also don't see a big difference between a product roadmap or a product backlog - the backlog is one way to present a roadmap for what will be worked on and delivered.

04:58 pm April 22, 2022

I am not sure where you got your two lists of items but this is from the 2020 Scrum Guide's section that describes the Product Owner role.

The Product Owner is accountable for maximizing the value of the product resulting from the work of the Scrum Team. How this is done may vary widely across organizations, Scrum Teams, and individuals.

The Product Owner is also accountable for effective Product Backlog management, which includes:

• Developing and explicitly communicating the Product Goal;

• Creating and clearly communicating Product Backlog items;

• Ordering Product Backlog items; and,

• Ensuring that the Product Backlog is transparent, visible and understood.

How you choose to do this work is entirely up to you.  There are no "strategic or tactical steps" provided for anything in the Scrum framework. Scrum does not provide process or procedures for anything.  Those decisions are left up to the people in the self-managing, self-organizing teams.  They get to decide the best way to operate in order to deliver the right value.  

If your organization requires certain artifacts, then you should provide them or start making the case why those artifacts do not support your company's agility.  The Scrum Master should be able to help you with those efforts.

05:54 pm April 22, 2022

I'm new to the Product Owner scene and want to know the strategic & tactical steps for a Product Owner as recommended

Recognize that your strategic and tactical step is a Sprint. That's it. Then figure out the best way to maximize value, empirically Sprint by Sprint, for the benefit of stakeholders.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.