Skip to main content

Manage changes

Last post 07:46 pm July 2, 2014 by aldo daniel lavin
2 replies
01:32 pm July 2, 2014

I ask for help please:

1)Im using scrum, I use Trello and a board on a window with stickers for planning Product Backlog, priorizing, and everything is ok... when I finish first sprint, issues come out. Product owner brings new things not planned before and priorize them. How represent this on board? Do I have to create new user stories? What happend with the backlog for next sprint? get freeze? I don know how to handle this not planned issues.

2): At the planning meeting, we (team), check the release backlog and imagine (only we can do this), the activities for each one, assign times (story points), etc. But, there is uncertainty always, and some things come out. What happen here? We already tell to product owner the user stories for this sprint and finally we cant finish for new issues that we cant see until the project is avanced.

3) task stickers are general or very particular? I mean... i can just put a sticker that says "update database structure", or put 5 stickers "add field on table 1", "add field on table 2", "erase field from table 3"... another example. I we have to change code for the issues that I mention above, i put a sticker "implement code to fit requeriments" or "change code on prodecure XXX, to XXX", "implement code and change query on xxx", "delete IFs and change them to SWITCH CASE on file XXX"

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.

04:32 pm July 2, 2014

Posted By aldolavin on 02 Jul 2014 01:32 PM
I ask for help please:

1)Im using scrum, I use Trello and a board on a window with stickers for planning Product Backlog, priorizing, and everything is ok... when I finish first sprint, issues come out. Product owner brings new things not planned before and priorize them. How represent this on board? Do I have to create new user stories? What happend with the backlog for next sprint? get freeze? I don know how to handle this not planned issues.

If new stories are discovered, they should be added to the produce backlog. If the Product Owner absolutely needs to have them done in the current iteration and cannot wait until the next iteration, he will need to work with the development team to replace an equally sized item with the new story (minus the amount of dev time used during the swap).

If there are so many changes to the sprint that the sprint goal changes, the PO may consider canceling the sprint and replanning.

2): At the planning meeting, we (team), check the release backlog and imagine (only we can do this), the activities for each one, assign times (story points), etc. But, there is uncertainty always, and some things come out. What happen here? We already tell to product owner the user stories for this sprint and finally we cant finish for new issues that we cant see until the project is avanced.

During planning, there may still be a lot of unknowns. This is the nature of working with software and complex projects. To mitigate some of that uncertainty, the team should monitor the sprint burndown and track the work that's left against remaining team capacity. When it is discovered that the team cannot meet all commitments, they should approach the Product Owner and renegotiate the commitments.

3) task stickers are general or very particular? I mean... i can just put a sticker that says "update database structure", or put 5 stickers "add field on table 1", "add field on table 2", "erase field from table 3"... another example. I we have to change code for the issues that I mention above, i put a sticker "implement code to fit requeriments" or "change code on prodecure XXX, to XXX", "implement code and change query on xxx", "delete IFs and change them to SWITCH CASE on file XXX"

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english.

How the team breaks down stories into tasks for their sprint backlog is up to the development team. Pick an approach as an experiment and monitor how well it works. Inspect and adapt as needed.

07:46 pm July 2, 2014

Thanks!!! I toke certified Srum but, now that Im in practice its a little confuse.

I think that I need to be or see an example for the begining in real world for planning SW project.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.