Skip to main content

SCRUM MASTER POSITION WAVERING!!

Last post 06:38 pm August 4, 2022 by Rick Gilbert
3 replies
02:50 pm May 27, 2022

At my job we had a heated argument in a meeting whereby Management was saying the teams have become so good that they don't need the Scrum Master position anymore. Question: Is there anytime the scrum team becomes so good as to cancel out the scrum master position?

Also one of my team is practicing something I don't know whether it is Scrum and my Agile manager approves to it. They refused attending Sprint retrospective, the don't do backlog refinement and the "PO" told me they can discuss whatever problem they have during standup meetings. I took this conversation to my manager and he told me it is OK they are not really practicing scrum fully, Question: Is there any environement where we practice half Scrum?

Last Question, These days most employers are looking for project manager/scrum master. Can a scrum master also perform the role of a project manager?

Thanks

Samuel

04:29 pm May 27, 2022

we had a heated argument in a meeting whereby Management was saying the teams have become so good that they don't need the Scrum Master position anymore.

What evidence have management provided to support their assertion, and how is this brilliant success being measured?

How do they know that the service a Scrum Master provides to:

• the Developers,
  • the Product Owner, and
  • the wider organization and its stakeholders

is no longer required?

Perhaps that "heated argument" demonstrates that they do need a Scrum Master. Transparency appears to be missing over something, and a consensus view of reality is needed if an organization is to inspect and adapt effectively.

Question: Is there anytime the scrum team becomes so good as to cancel out the scrum master position?

Have you asked management? Have you asked them what they believe a Scrum Master is accountable for, and why they believe that accountability can now be cancelled? 

Question: Is there any environement where we practice half Scrum?

Yours, by the sound of it. It's common enough and we are left to wonder about the genuine outcomes.

Last Question, These days most employers are looking for project manager/scrum master. Can a scrum master also perform the role of a project manager?

Not without robbing a team of its ability to self-manage. Bear in mind that the most important project is the Sprint, because that is the one which allows empiricism to be established and maintained.

Matters such as these could be worth reflecting on with those who believe a Scrum Master is no longer needed.

06:44 am June 5, 2022

Ian, I like the questions you asked. I'd appreciate answers to these questions.

06:54 am August 4, 2022

I really love this forum in general, as people write really smart things 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.