Skip to main content

Which of the Scrum values ​​do you think is the most important?

Last post 09:16 pm June 15, 2022 by Darcy DeClute
5 replies
12:33 pm May 28, 2022

Which of the Scrum values ​​do you think is the most important?

This question is asked very often during job interviews, I am curious about your answer. Thank you.

04:58 am May 30, 2022

"Which would you say is most clearly lacking in this company?"

09:11 am May 30, 2022

I think diminishing one of the Scrum Values will affects the others anyway, so I don't feel like there is just one to choose. All are the key. 

12:16 pm May 30, 2022

Hey Mary, good to see you on the Scrum forum! 

I'd definitely echo the above sentiments that the Values, like all elements of Scrum, are required as a minimum to be successful. 

If I were asking this sort of a question for interview purposes, I'd probably be more just trying to ascertain where you have seen the most value from your own experience as a coach and SM, and would be turned off if you tried to answer it too directly. 

It's cool to say "They are all important, but I've found success in X scenario when focussing on Y, because it's what the team needed at the time"

The example, not the choice of value, is the thing I'd be looking for. 

04:42 pm May 31, 2022

I'd answer pretty much like @Ian.  I don't think any one value is more important than any of the others.  However, if one is missing or neglected, it could become the most important at that point in time.  

08:16 pm June 15, 2022

Want a scientific answer?

In Psychology they have the 'Big Five Personality Traits.' The assertion is that every attempt to evaluate personality falls into one of those five categories.

The Big Five Personality Traits

The Big Five are:

1. Extroversion
  2. Agreeableness
  3. Openness
  4. Conscientiousness
  5. Anxiousness

Of the big five personality traits, the one that has the highest correlation with personal success and advancement is conscientiousness. People who are conscientious but unintelligent tend to do far better in life than people who are extremely intelligent but have low conscientiousness.

The Importance of Conscientiousness

The literature on the importance of conscientiousness is clear and unambiguous.

Of the five Scrum values, I'd say commitment is most closely related to contentiousness.

So from a scientific standpoint, the commitment is the most important Scrum value.

Big Five Personality Traits

[Big 5 image from Wikipedia Commons. Used under the image's share-alike license.]

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.