Skip to main content

Jeff Sutherland announces "Scrum at Scale"

Last post 09:10 am October 8, 2014 by Ken Schwaber
3 replies
05:55 pm July 21, 2014

Jeff Sutherland, the co-author with Ken of the Scrum Guide, has released an agile scaling approach called "Scrum at Scale". It seems to be driven by release management considerations and, interestingly, features a "release train"...a construct many of us have come to associate with SAFe.

http://scrumlab.scruminc.com/store/product/100-scrum-at-scale/

Is there any correlation between Scrum at Scale and Ken's Agility Path, or are they completely separate initiatives?

07:37 am August 3, 2014

It seems to be a separate initiative.

I've been looking at the Agile2014 material on Scrum at Scale. Interestingly, it seems to take a pattern-based approach to agile transformation, rather like the one I proposed in agilepatterns.org (see the "startup at scale" transformation pattern).

This is far better than the thin-slicing templated approach represented by the likes of SAFe. For the first time in years I feel quite optimistic about where things are headed with agile scaling...but we have a great deal of work ahead of us yet.

06:01 am August 4, 2014

thank you very much, one more time, for the links (both jeff + yours)
Scaling agile is a very common question, always difficult to answer for me.
This give me more ideas.

09:10 am October 8, 2014

Scrum.org will be conducting Scrum at Scale courses in Boston and the Netherlands starting in early December, this year. Building on the same framework that ScrumInc uses, but detailing the strengths and weakness of scaling the various artifacts. Then looking at how the scaled artifacts can be applied for different projects and organizations using the some of the popular frameworks.
Ken

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.