Skip to main content

should i first Learning agile then learn project management?

Last post 04:42 pm July 24, 2014 by John Tyson
3 replies
10:45 pm July 21, 2014

hi,
I'm a software developer who wants to learn about project management and Agile so currently stuck with a decision to learn agile along with project management(for IT). But makes it further complex, when i think about the order of learning them. Learn Agile before Project management or Vice Versa. So i have the following questions

1. Should i learn agile and omit project management?

My conscious tells me that i cannot omit project management as its the foundation for a project start. so if i'm to learn project management with agile,

2. What is the order of learning?

thanks

04:40 am July 22, 2014

I suggest you first investigate the project management issues that agile practice attempts to resolve, and then relate this to your own development and delivery experiences.

02:02 pm July 22, 2014

Andrew,

You could combine them, but then you would have to bolt on PMP or Prince2 to get the other side of PM.
A good PM will have many tools in his/her bag and be able to change when it is required.
Not only that the mindset that comes with each, if we think Agile we are generally self organizing teams.
Project Management is less self organizing teams, *bit of chaos here and there.
You could research the APMG course to see if it will give you what you are looking for?
Even better if your company are willing to sponsor you on one.

http://www.apmg-international.com/en/qualifications/agile-pm/agile-pm.a…

Michael

04:42 pm July 24, 2014

I was familiar with traditional project mgmt and have also worked in Agile and SCRUM environments. I started an Online PMP course that my company had - and this turned out to be a big motivating factor for me to pursue becoming a Scrum Master.

As you delve into PMP (your library may have books on it), you will see huge amounts of overhead that SCRUM wipes out. PMBOK 3 had 42 defined processes. There are things like Develop Preliminary Project Scope Stmt which will feed into Scope Planning which feeds into Project Planning...by the time you have your rough Project Plan, you would have completed several Sprints and delivered value to your customer.

The other factor that I considered was the usefulness. SCRUM and Agile are gaining in popularity, while PMP is declining for software projects. You're making an investment of your time and money, so go for the best return. Now, perhaps you want to move out of software development and be a PM for a construction company - then you're probably better off getting your PMP.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.