Skip to main content

sprint retrospective duration (scrum guide vs SW in 30 days)

Last post 07:19 pm April 20, 2021 by Scott Anthony Keatinge
6 replies
07:54 am July 25, 2014

hello,

hope someone could clarify the correct maximum duration for a sprint retrospective!

from scrum guide 2013: "this is a three-hour time-boxed meeting for one month sprint. for shorter sprints, the event is usually shorter p12, 1st paragraph
from Software in 30 days:"This meeting should never exceed four hours" p60 - "conduct the sprint retrospectives"
sub chapter

should someone consider as the scrum guide and scrum open relative answers as correct?

thnx!
nikos

06:26 am July 27, 2014

Hi Nikos,

As the exam is set by scrum.org the question will be based on scrum guide contents.
If you look at Appendix 1 page 131 of the same book Software in 30 days.
Time is defined the same as scrum guide, so its a kind of contradiction of terms.
Understand your point you are putting forward RE timeboxes as it could be confusing.
As a SM you would be keeping the events to timeboxes, as far as this is concerned
I would go with the timebox that the scrum guide recommends and also page 131 of that book.
Could also be worth dropping Ken or Jeff a mail in the thinking behind the four hour time listed.
Share the result with the wider community in this post.

Michael

10:02 am July 27, 2014

thnx for your feedback Michael!
i will contact Ken for his comments as well!

03:26 pm July 27, 2014

Mehdi spotted this back in January. At the time, I suggested it was a typo and no-one has contradicted me on that. See:

https://www.scrum.org/Forums/aft/595

Taken very literally of course, the book is also right. The claim that a Sprint Retrospective should never exceed 4 hours is a valid one.

10:22 am November 2, 2014

Hi Nick,
Normally you should have an 1 hour Retro, for a one week sprint, ergo 2 hr for 2 weeks etc.

09:44 am April 20, 2021

In my opinion the 4hours is a guideline, it is the maximum time that should not be exceeded for this ceremony. When it comes to how long exactly is needed per sprint (2 or 4weeks) this is a team discussion facilitated by the SM because today we can use tools that help gather input prior to the meeting for a more focused meeting which translates to saving time. 

07:19 pm April 20, 2021

Just remember that if you are taking any this sites exams, the correct answer will always be 3 hours or less for a one month sprint, for exams based upon the 2020 guide.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.