Skip to main content

Scrum Master not required in Daily Scrum

Last post 09:41 pm August 26, 2021 by Daniel Wilhite
4 replies
03:57 am August 7, 2014

I just took the PSM Open and came across a question "Who are required to attend the Daily Scrum?" I found out that my answer "The development team and scrum master" is incorrect. Based on explanation, only the dev team is required. Scrum master only has to make sure the team they meet. So does it mean the scrum master may call someone from dev team to check they do the daily scrum and if yes, okay job is done. Further, if Scrum master is not required, who will listen and will do something about the impediments of the team?
Need enlightenment. Thank you!

06:45 am August 7, 2014

The Scrum Master does not need to be present at the Daily Scrum, though can attend if it is advantageous to do so. He or she is responsible for making sure that this event happens and that the rules are followed.

> So does it mean the scrum master may call someone from
> dev team to check they do the daily scrum and if yes, okay
> job is done

It could mean that. However it would be better if the Scrum Master coached the team to self-organize. A Development Team should be able to hold their Daily Scrum properly and in a timely manner, and without any need for supervision at all.

> who will listen and will do something about the impediments of the team?

If the Scrum Master is not present, the team should be competent to bring issues and impediments to the Scrum Master's attention. They should be able to do this at any time during the Sprint, and not just as a result of holding a Daily Standup event.

Let's remember that the Scrum Master is of course allowed to attend the Daily Scrum, and should do so if that is the best use of his or her time with regard to identifying and removing impediments, and facilitating progress.

07:51 pm August 7, 2014

Thanks, Ian! The Scrum Master's role on Daily Scrum is clear to me now.

07:11 am August 26, 2021

Hi Ian, did this change at some point in time? I did achieve Scrum Master certification years ago, but my brain seems to think that SM presence was required at the Scrum.

09:41 pm August 26, 2021

@Floris Kleijne  you should read the current version of the Scrum Guide that was released in November 2020.  It has evolved many times since this post was created created 7 years ago.

However, I do not remember any version of the Scrum Guide where the Daily Scrum required the Scrum Master's attendance.  In my memory that event has always been for the Developers to plan their work so there would be no reason for the Scrum Master to be involved. 

There are a number of forum discussions on this topic but @Ian Mitchell's explanation still holds true. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.