Skip to main content

Need to map ProjectManagement Process area with Agile-Scrum

Last post 04:31 pm November 2, 2014 by Michael Owen
12 replies
09:18 am September 18, 2014

Project Management Process -- Agile
==========================================================================

Project Initiation – Stage 1 -- <What we call in Agile?>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Identify a Sponsor -- <What we call in Agile?>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Assign Project Manager -- <What we call in Agile?>

3. Identify and Engage Key Stakeholders -- <What we call in Agile?>

4. Write the Charter -- <What we call in Agile?>

5. Sponsors, Stakeholders, and Project Managers accept the Charter -- <What we call in Agile?>

6. Organize the Project Team -- (once the project is approved and Charter is final) --<What we call in Agile?>

Project Planning– Stage 2

1. Conduct project planning kick-off -- <What we call?>
2. Refine project scope (includes defining and managing issues and scope change) -- <What we call in Agile?>
3. Determine procurement and sourcing strategy, if appropriate -- <What we call in Agile?>
4. Develop a detailed project schedule -- <What we call in Agile?>
5. Develop the Resource Plan -- <What we call in Agile?>
6. Refine project cost estimate and budget (See BLS recommended courses on cost/budget estimation or Earned Value Management.) -- <What we call in Agile?>
7. Identify potential project risks -- <What we call in Agile?>
8. Develop a project communication approach -- <What we call in Agile?>
9. Develop a project plan

Project Managing (Execution and Control) – Stage 3

1. Conduct Project Execution Kickoff (if needed) -- <What we call in Agile?>

2. Manage Scope -- <What we call in Agile?>

3. Manage Schedule -- <What we call in Agile?>

4. Manage Project Costs -- <What we call in Agile?>

5. Manage Risk -- <What we call in Agile?>

6. Communicate Information -- <What we call in Agile?>

7. Manage Issues -- <What we call in Agile?>

8. Conduct Status Review Meetings -- <What we call in Agile?>

9. Update Project Planning Documents -- <What we call in Agile?>

Project Closeout – Stage 4

1.       Conduct Post-Implementation Review -- <What we call in Agile?>

2.       Perform Administrative Closeout -- <What we call in Agile?>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02:42 am September 20, 2014

Agile adoption involves deep change to organizational processes and practices. The mappings you are looking for do not exist in Scrum.

03:44 am September 22, 2014

Also, there is no common "agile naming standard". Scrum has its prescribed terms and any other agile method / process / framework / ... comes along with its own notions.
And as Scrum is just a framework, many of the processes you describe are not addressed or determined by Scrum.
According to the Scrum Guide, Scrum is not a process or a technique for building products. Instead it is a framework for developing and sustaining complex products and it is lightweight.
In my opinion that means that Scrum is the absolute essence of what it takes to be agile but it can never be a complete description of a project or project management process.

12:39 pm September 22, 2014

I do agree, it's a framework.

But I was trying to find out or see what ProjectManagement process steps most people are using. (for example Project Managing (Execution and Control) – Stage 3 section can be mapped to Sprint/Iteration, Managing Scope can be done in Daily Sprint.)

Or can any one share what your organization is using Agile-Scrum, ProjectManagement standard document to follow. I need to prepare it that's why trying to see if any one already has one.

It's very difficult to Just keep: 1)Sprint Planning, Daily Sprint, Sprint review, Sprint retrospective etc. I have to provide a document which show some of the project management steps (I am hoping some one in the forums might have a agile standard Project management document)

If you have one, please share it with me.

05:53 am September 23, 2014

Hi,
why do you need to map this? In my experience, this does not help to understand Scrum better.
Instead it helps to prevent companies from becoming more agile, because they can just proceed as usual but with new names for their Processes.
Understanding that you actually do not need these stages for product development is the key to get a benefit from an agile transition.
What you actually need is some sprints. They already include all necessary planning and execution. Skip all the remaining stages (initiation and closeout) as well and you will actually get some work done.

11:25 am September 23, 2014

Sreedhar,
I understand what you are going through. But you have to think that waterfall and agile are 2 different things. Yes the goal is to get a good product in the end. But the way to reach that is 2 different paths. All the people who have replied to this thread are absolutely correct. You need to NOT map the meetings/phases in Waterfall to agile. They are separate things.

Try to see if you can take a course from scrum.org. They are pretty good.

Start with the smallest thing. Get some PBIs ready and start off a sprint. Do the scrum meetings like planning, Review, retro and daily stand up. After 2-3 sprints you will understand and also be confused if it is working. Again try refreshing principles of scrum. You will get more clarity.

Its difficult to understand the benefits until you try it..

Try explaining to your manager that this is an approach that you want to try and that we need to go all the way to do scrum.

Hope that helps.

11:51 am September 23, 2014

Susairaj/Ludwig,

Thanks for the response. I am using Scrum from past 1 year, and we are also using the tool to monitor (VersionOne), and I do practically saw the benefit of it.

The only reason I need is, I need to give to upper management, and they will use that document as a guideline to be used in other groups to start agile projects.

And it's not waterfall to Agile, the provided PM process steps above are for RUP. So I am looking RUP to Scrum/Agile.
Upper management need one process template, so other groups can follow (Who wanted to move to Agile), for that I need to prepare a Project Management process document for Agile.

I could prepare one if I spend some time, the reason I posed here is, I thought some one in the forums might already have it and I thought I could get benefit by it (if it already reviewed and used document).

Probably I will prepare one. but if any one has one, please share. The only reason the upper management is to just to have a standard document as part of policy.

Please share ..if ... any..

12:27 pm September 23, 2014

Attempts have been made to evolve RUP into an agile framework. The one in which the RUP inheritance is perhaps most evident is Disciplined Agile Delivery:

http://disciplinedagiledelivery.wordpress.com/introduction-to-dad/

These attempts are controversial in that agile transformation requires deep and pervasive change, not the application of mappings or a template.

06:35 am September 24, 2014

Sreedhar,
I try to be very clear.
If you give such a document to upper management, and they use it as a guideline, this will be a huge impediment for groups trying to become more agile. It will probably prevent an agile transition completely.
If they need one process template for agile groups, use an agile one, and not a classical one with labels from agile.
Best, Ludwig

11:16 am September 24, 2014

Sreedhar,

You should ask management why they want to do this.

11:16 am September 24, 2014

Sreedhar,

You should ask management why they want to do this.

09:08 am September 25, 2014

Thanks Mitchell. It's a good resource. I would say we actually following Hybrid now as some areas we are slightly deviating to have a full deliver model. But I have to say it's Agile approach.

Joshua Partogi, Ludwig: Thanks for your input and I do understand your concern, please don't mind for my repetitive answer. I think I explained above. The document is for allowing teams to follow and having common understanding. Even though teams know Agile, having document is good.

Let me give an example: For Scrum, we have a guideline document to follow and to write exam, we can't say we have a common understanding and we know it we don't need to read and write exam.

In general in big organizations, they keep guidelines and rules documents and templates. One such template is needed to allow people to start following Agile process and which we don't have now.

For example Without a Charter and Scope document how do you kick of the project? Those steps would go into project initiation phase, I assume even in Agile they would be the same.

Execution and Control phase Is nothing but Planning and executing Sprint Cycles.

I was querying here that if any one has a document with perspective Agile terms as explained above. If you have one please share.

04:31 pm November 2, 2014

You could be looking at something like DSDM Atern.
I hold PSM and PSPO, I have just done this in study and think its good to have in your toolbox.

Lightweight vs fuller approaches will clear up PM vs Scrum, XP, Lean.
http://blog.simplilearn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Agile_Methodolog…

Handbook for DSDM explains what you may be searching for if its an Agile approach with PM role.
http://www.dsdm.org/dig-deeper/book/dsdm-atern-handbook

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.