Skip to main content

Using scrum in Personalized content project

Last post 12:48 pm October 16, 2014 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
09:02 am October 8, 2014

Hi,

I am a scrum master who's used to working on website projects using scrum. I am now for the first time faced with a project where the goal is to personalize content - both the technical side (adapting the CMS to personalized content) and the content side (creating custom content for certain users/ customer journeys).

Whereas I am confident on the first part (adapting the CMS using scrum), I am not experienced on the first part (creating personalized content).

Who has any experience with creating content for a website using scrum? There must be soms do's and don'ts and I would love to learn from them.

Thank you in advance.
Debbie

07:57 am October 10, 2014

Presumably technical elements and content will both be needed in order to create a potentially releasable increment. Has the Product Owner therefore represented *both* as Product Backlog Items? Will they be planned into each Sprint to satisfy meaningful Sprint Goals?

03:40 am October 16, 2014

Thanks for the reply Ian.

Would you say that content needs to be a separate item on the backlog? I was thinking to just add content-tasks to the scrumboard, and include 'Every increment is equiped with working, tested content' to the definition of done. The user stories can stay the same, it is just the demands we have for accepting it that will change.

Do you think this might work?

Kind regards, Debbie

12:48 pm October 16, 2014

If you represent content as tasks then this implies that they will be planned into a Sprint Backlog by the Development Team. This begs the question of how the team will actually develop the content.

Unless that content is represented on the Product Backlog, presumably the team will have to elicit it from the PO during the Sprint. This may compromise their ability to estimate the scope of the work and to determine, in Sprint Planning, how much they can reasonably expect to take on.

I would expect content requirements to be represented on the Product Backlog in some form, either as separate items or as an integral part of relevant PBIs.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.