Skip to main content

Scrum master role

Last post 01:46 pm October 28, 2014 by tim muttitt
4 replies
04:39 pm October 23, 2014

Hello,
I'm preparing to PSM I exam. I found contradiction what Scrum Guide says about SM role. It's stated that SM does not have to be on daily meetings (he/she only has to ensure team do them). One of the point for daily meetings are impediments . From other side major SM responsibility is to remove impediments. How can he/she know about them if not present on daily meetings ?

Regards
Pawel

05:50 pm October 23, 2014

If, for some reason, the team were unable to raise impediments before the Daily Scrum, then it would be a good idea for the Scrum Master to attend.

Wouldn't it be better to bring them to the Scrum Master's attention before then, though?

07:37 pm October 23, 2014

Pawel, you have to remember that many of the components of Scrum are "minimums", as in, at minimum, you have to have a potentially releasable increment(PRI) at the end of each sprint. This does not stop you from deploying to production every single day or hour. The minimum requirement is that you have at least one PRI at the end of the Sprint. You're allowed to do more than that.

Yes, at the Daily Scrum, it is encouraged that the Dev Team talk about any impediments that are in their way, but that is a minimum. They can talk about or resolve impediments ANY time. In fact, I think that "saving up your impediments" for the Daily Scrum is a bad practice, because it implies unnecessary delays.

See the "obstacle resolution" section here:
http://www.scrumcrazy.com/Overview+-+Daily+Scrum+Patterns

07:40 pm October 23, 2014

And of course, +100 to Ian's point as well.

01:46 pm October 28, 2014

The team should be aware that the SM may or may not be at the daily planning meeting. They should also be aware if there are any impediments they can not solve themselves, to raise that impediment to the SM.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.