Skip to main content

What are some Agile Testing Best Practices/Techniques

Last post 08:48 am July 22, 2022 by Michael Lloyd
5 replies
06:15 pm July 21, 2022

In agile software development projects, we still do testing only, testing is done more frequently within iterations or sprints rather than having specific test phase, like in waterfall.  ISO/IEC Standard 29119-2 breaks testing processes into test management processes and dynamic testing processes.  Test management processes include Test Strategy and Planning, Test Monitoring and Control, and test completion.  Dynamic testing processes include Test design and implementation process, test design and data management process, test execution process, and tests incident reporting process.   Given these processes occur in both traditional and agile, Plese share any agile testing best practices/techniques in executing these processes using agile?

09:19 pm July 21, 2022

Given these processes occur in both traditional and agile

Do they? It all sounds rather prescriptive to me.

09:27 pm July 21, 2022

I would think they should still be done in agile in some way, maybe not all the test documentation that would be created in traditional, but there still must be a testing strategy/approach, planning for example determining what levels and types of testing need to be performed, what will be tested, etc.   Just like the project management processes don't go away in Agile, they are just simplified and leaner.

10:25 pm July 21, 2022

Perhaps these things are replaced by commitments and accountabilities within self-managing teams. I'd suggest that rigorous quality assurance is underpinned by a Definition of Done rather than a process.

11:16 pm July 21, 2022

There are no best practices. Software development is a complex activity. At best, you may have good practices, but those are highly dependent on your exact situation.

You're right that these processes occur in both plan-driven and agile methods. Regardless of your methods, you will have a test strategy and/or test plan - you will define what types of testing you will do, who will do it, the environments where it will be done, when it will be done, the tools that you will use. You will design and implement tests - you will design tests against what the system is supposed to do, execute them (through manual use of the system or through test automation tools), and you will record failures. You will monitor your tests for their effectiveness - how long they take to run, if the test ever fails, how often it fails, if the failures are issues with the test or issues with the system under test.

Although I'm not very familiar with 29119, I'm familiar with a number of other ISO standards. Nearly all of the ones that I am familiar with are built around objectives. Few, if any, of the standards say how to achieve those objectives, only the objectives that are expected to be achieved. I would expect that the objectives could be achieved in agile environments.

If you want to dig deeper into good practices for testing in an agile environment, I'd recommend the works of Lisa Crispin and Janet Gregory, especially Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams and More Agile Testing: Learning Journeys for the Whole Team. When it comes to testing and quality in agile software development, these are two leaders with books, blogs, tweets, and talks to look through.

08:48 am July 22, 2022

I would highly recommend this criminally underrated book:

https://www.amazon.com/Growing-Agile-Coachs-Guide-Testing-ebook/dp/B00S…

It provides some great insights and tools into helping teams understand what testing means in an agile team, and how to start defining a better way to build quality in to their product.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.