Skip to main content

Cycle and Lead Time Include Holidays?

Last post 10:47 pm August 2, 2022 by Daniel Wilhite
7 replies
03:28 pm July 30, 2022

Hi everyone,

Do you think the cycle and lead time periods should include holidays (weekends, public holidays, etc.)? In my opinion, production time should not include holidays as it only includes business days. What should it be?

Thanks.

Best regards,

05:59 pm July 30, 2022

Problems are rarely solved by reducing transparency. What would you hope to achieve by doing so in this case? 

07:53 pm July 30, 2022

Problems are rarely solved by reducing transparency. What would you hope to achieve by doing so in this case? 

I aim to measure performance with precise and realistic values for the team. I hope to speak to the right values when reporting to senior management.

11:58 pm July 30, 2022

I hope to speak to the right values when reporting to senior management.

I'd suggest that 7 days to complete something is still 7 days, regardless of what management thinks.

What decisions are management making which would encourage a team to pretend otherwise?

12:34 am July 31, 2022

With regards to lead time, do your customers and/or stakeholders think in terms of calendar days or business days?

I would suggest cycle time stay within the team, and I don't think it matters if you include or exclude weekends as long as you are consistent over time.

10:57 am July 31, 2022

Lead time and cycle time are both elapsed time measures.

To use an analogy, when you order a pizza and they tell you it will take 1 hour, you expect it in 1 hour.

What if the pizza place really meant it will take 1 hour of effort, but it might actually take 3 hours due to them having breaks etc. You as the customer are likely to have issues with this. Why would this be any different for your stakeholders and customers?

02:57 pm August 2, 2022

When you say you're aiming at accurately measuring the team's performance by using Cycle Time data, does that mean that if that Scrum Team delivers lots of small items with pretty short Cycle Times, but with absolutely no customer value, that team is still considered a high performing team?

I would beware of the trap of using flow metrics as a performance measure instead of using it as a way of providing your stakeholders with accurate and reliable delivery expectations.

10:47 pm August 2, 2022

My opinion is that Cycle and Lead time should include all calendar days.  That helps to make things consistent across year boundaries.  

And I'm going to join in on the "it's a bad idea" to use these for performance metrics.  In an agile world, the value that is delivered and how consistently that is done is the performance you want to track.  For all the reasons that have been mentioned so far.  

Cycle and Lead time can be used by the team to understand their ability to complete items so that forecasting value delivery can become more predictable. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.