Skip to main content

Huddle meeting/call

Last post 04:37 pm August 3, 2022 by Sasi Kumari Pedhiredla
4 replies
10:18 am August 2, 2022

Hello All,

I want to understand the difference between daily scrum and huddle meeting. Could anyone help me?. Thanks in advance!

08:43 pm August 2, 2022

One is described in the Scrum Guide along with its purpose and expected outcomes. The other isn"t.

If the Guide isn't used, I'm afraid there may be no difference at all, and Scrum outcomes cannot then be expected.

10:53 pm August 2, 2022

What @Ian said. 

But to be sarcastic, there are a lot of differences:

• daily scrum is 2 letters shorter than huddle meeting
  • there is no y in huddle meeting
  • there are no repeated letters in daily scrum
  • there are two double letter combinations in huddle meeting and none in daily scrum.

Sorry, I'll stop there.  It is getting late in the work day where I am at and I'm a bit punchy.  We tend to be pretty serious in our posts here so I thought I'd lighten things up a bit. 

11:28 pm August 2, 2022

We use the term 'huddle' in American football. The entire offense huddles on the field for a short time (less than 30 seconds) to strategize and discuss the upcoming play. Then the offense runs to the line, snaps the football, and runs the play in hopes of moving the ball up the field or scoring a field goal or touch down. 

In Scrum we use the term Daily Scrum, where the Developers take a brief timeout (15 minutes or less), to plan their day. It's a planning event to inspect their progress towards the Sprint Goal and adapt their plan for the next 24 hours (i.e. adapt the Sprint Backlog based on the latest information).

So, many Scrum teams use 'huddle' as a slang term, but they probably mean Daily Scrum. These are the same folks who might use the term 'Demo' for a Sprint Review. 

You can probably blame the Americans for the confusion! 

11:24 am August 3, 2022

Thank you all for the reply

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.