Skip to main content

Setting up a scrum of scrum for contributing dev teams

Last post 11:05 am August 6, 2022 by Ryan Kent
2 replies
08:32 pm August 5, 2022

I am trying to figure out a way to set up a scrum of scrum for teams that are within the same program but work in a contribution model meaning they get the intent but to complete the intent/features they need to work with teams outside of their program who own the services/Apis/components. So anyone has any potential advice on how I can make a scrum of scrum valuable to those teams and my leadership even though they don’t work closely together but are still in the same program? What are different tools and topics I can bring to the meetings?

05:47 am August 6, 2022

What can actually be done to enable each team to produce a Done, integrated, and immediately usable increment under its own steam? In Scrum the first action is to descale the challenge, and to only introduce scaling strategies as a last resort.

11:05 am August 6, 2022

What Ian said.

Some other thoughts...Scrum of Scrums is intended to be a scaled version of a Daily Scrum. A Daily Scrum is a formal opportunity to inspect progress against the Sprint Goal and make a plan for the day to make further progress. A Scrum of Scrums ought to have the same focus and would likely include integration discussions to make sure teams are collectively making progress and work is integrating or will successfully integrate.

You could look to the Nexus Guide and the Nexus Daily Scrum for ideas and guidance: https://www.scrum.org/resources/scaling-scrum 

Some topics for discussion could be:

• Was the previous day’s work successfully integrated? If not, why not?
  • What new dependencies have been identified?
  • What information needs to be shared across teams?

Regarding "valuable to those teams and my leadership" A Scrum of Scrums does not need to be valuable to you leadership. At least not directly. Like a regular Daily Scrum, is meant for those with hands on keyboards building the product. If you have leadership involved, there is a good chance you are talking about something all together different from a Scrum of Scrums.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.