Skip to main content

The Development Team should not be interrupted during the Sprint. The Sprint Goal should remain intact. These are conditions that foster creativity, quality and productivity. Based on this, which of the following is FALSE

Last post 07:57 am November 29, 2023 by Ian Mitchell
10 replies
02:26 pm March 3, 2015

i have a doubt about this question:

Correct answer: B)
You chose: D)
Note: This question displayed answer options in random order when taking this test.

A) The Product Owner can help clarify or optimize the Sprint when asked by the Development Team.
Missed correct answer

B) The Sprint Backlog and its contents are fully formulated in the Sprint Planning meeting and do not change during the Sprint.

C) As a decomposition of the selected Product Backlog Items, the Sprint Backlog changes and may grow as the work emerges.
Incorrect answer

D) The Development Team may work with the Product Owner to remove or add work if it finds it has more or less capacity than it expected.

the right question says: The Sprint Backlog and its contents are fully formulated in the Sprint Planning meeting and do not change during the Sprint.

At the scrum guide says: If the work turns out to be different than
the Development Team expected, they collaborate with the Product Owner to negotiate the
scope of Sprint Backlog within the Sprint

I'm really scared about this, it's making non sense to me, any one can help me to understand ?

03:02 pm March 3, 2015

Why are you confused? The question asks you to identify which answer is false, and B is indeed the only one that is false. D is perfectly valid.

05:26 pm March 3, 2015

My doubt is:

At the sprint planning we define the sprint goal, it is related to the sprint backlog. If i negociate the sprint backlog with the product owner, it can change my sprint goal ? i was reading contents today, saying that the sprint backlog can't be changed.

I need to clarify more about this.

Thank's Ian Mitchell

11:02 pm March 3, 2015

Development team can add more product backlog items which are related the current sprint's, sprint goal.
Actually sprint goal is created in order to give theam more flexibility regarding the functionality that can be implemented during the sprint. This flexibility can be achieved in case development team finds that more PBI's can be inculded in the current sprint.

01:34 pm March 4, 2015

Thank's Nipun,

my doubt appeared when i did this simulate:

The Development Team realizes that the volume of work of one of the items in the
Sprint Backlog is estimated incorrectly, and the current volume of work of the whole
Sprint Backlog is 130 instead of 100. What should we do?

A. They should return some items back to the Product Backlog to keep the Sprint
Backlog volume to about 100 points
B. They should ask Scrum Master for more time for this current Sprint
C. They should ask Product Owner to decide on this
D. They shouldn’t do anything now

I answered the C option, following the scrum guide the dev team negociate with the product owner to add os remove itens, but the simulare says that the right answer is the D option, them i can understand that the simulate is wrong ?

Thank's all, i'm studying to take my psm certification as soon as possible

05:55 pm May 6, 2019

Dear All,

Below my answer is as per my knowledge on Scrum and Agile

Point-1: Scrum just not allow addition of any new PBI (Product Backlog Item), if it put the sprint goal in danger. but if development team all agree to add new PBI to the sprint goal and sure of completing it, can can do so after discussion with the PO.

In the same way they can replace a PBI (Add a new PBI and Remove another PBI having equal weight) if some thing urgent comes out from client or stack holder.

Point-2: Sprint Back log is a changeable item through out the sprint , it can grow from 100 story point (Task) to 120 or 130. This happen for complex PBI, when the team not able to analyse all possible story point in the sprint planning meeting.

Generally best team find a way to complete the additional work, if they can't able to compete all, they can discuss with PO , to move the incomplete PBI back to the PBI list for next iteration.

03:01 am November 28, 2023

Hello all, can someone please explain to me why this answer chosen (A) by scrum.org is correct. i am confused. i thought the sprint backlog does not not change during sprint. I choose C but scrum says the correct answer is A.

The Developers should not be interrupted during the Sprint and the Sprint Goal should remain intact. These are conditions that foster creativity, quality and productivity.

(Which one the following answers is FALSE?)

A.The Sprint Backlog is fully formulated in the Sprint Planning event and does not change during the Sprint.

B. The Developers may work with the Product Owner to add or remove work if they find themselves with more or less capacity than expected.

C.As a decomposition of the selected Product Backlog items, the Sprint Backlog changes and may grow as the work emerges.

D.The Product Owner can help clarify or optimize the Sprint when asked by the Developers.

07:58 pm November 28, 2023

What does the Scrum Guide say about the Sprint Backlog?

09:26 pm November 28, 2023

To help you answer @Timothy's question.  This comes from the Scrum Guide's section that describes the Sprint Backlog. The emphasis was added by me for clarity.

The Sprint Backlog is a plan by and for the Developers. It is a highly visible, real-time picture of the work that the Developers plan to accomplish during the Sprint in order to achieve the Sprint Goal. Consequently, the Sprint Backlog is updated throughout the Sprint as more is learned. It should have enough detail that they can inspect their progress in the Daily Scrum.

I am not sure where you got your information that the Sprint Backlog cannot change. I do not remember the Scrum Guide ever stating that. It has always described it as fluid based upon new knowledge obtained. The same holds true for the Product Backlog. 

11:11 pm November 28, 2023

The Sprint Backlog is fully formulated in the Sprint Planning event and does not change during the Sprint.

One of Scrum's Top 10 Myths!

07:57 am November 29, 2023

i thought the sprint backlog does not not change during sprint

That would be an odd commitment to make when developing a complex product. A Sprint Goal would be a better one, and to have a forecast of work which can be inspected and adapted.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.