Skip to main content

How are cosmetic improvements / changes handled?

Last post 03:31 pm September 26, 2022 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
10:13 pm September 25, 2022

Hi all, so we have a current app where we, every now and then, do some cosmetic improvements in texts, titles, sometimes images, etc. and I was wondering how are those supposed to get into the backlog?  Sometimes, as an example, we add a new feature for the app and we need to adjust the Welcome screen to include the name of the new app in a existing paragraph.  Some other times we just need to improve the text of an existing title on a given screen.

Right now we are creating a user story (Because are not defects),  but I was wondering if that is the right way. If I look at it from the "business value" perspective, there are none really but are improvements we like to do.

Thanks

10:31 pm September 25, 2022

The Product Backlog is the emergent, ordered list of all changes needed to improve the product. Although the Product Owner is accountable for creating and communicating Product Backlog Items, they can delegate this to others. The people who add Product Backlog Items vary by team and organization.

The use of any of the various story types and formats are complementary practices. The Scrum framework doesn't offer any specifics as to how to structure Product Backlog Items. Using more traditional user story formats, like the Connextra format, are up to the team and may not be appropriate for all types of product changes.

12:07 am September 26, 2022

Right now we are creating a user story (Because are not defects),  but I was wondering if that is the right way. If I look at it from the "business value" perspective, there are none really but are improvements we like to do.

Does the Product Owner think it's worth doing? Can he or she order it on the Product Backlog in relation to other items and account for its value?

If not, do the Developers believe it needs doing in order to ensure the product quality they are accountable for?

03:31 pm September 26, 2022

If I look at it from the "business value" perspective, there are none really but are improvements we like to do.

I'd argue that there is business value in them.  Maintaining your brand, directing people's attention to new features, clarifying instructions or statements all have value.  It may not be as big as introducing new functionality, but there is still value.  Otherwise, why would you do it?  

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.