Skip to main content

Any ideas on how i can slice this funcionality into user stories

Last post 02:54 pm September 27, 2022 by Daniel Wilhite
2 replies
11:03 pm September 26, 2022

Good evening.

I come to you, the user story experts, for your help. I know that user stories as such are not part of the Scrum framework, however, I ask in case anyone has had the experience and can give me their advise, which will help me a lot as I learn.

We have an application through which you can obtain products online. It is a multi-step flow that the customer goes through to obtain the product.

We want to include a new product in the application, and we did an exercise to identify all the steps of the customer experience and then based on that, the UI/UX team created a design of what the screens of the application would look like. Also, the system dependencies, and high level technical tasks were identified.

Each screen shows steps in the flow, such as:

Screen 1: Welcome Screen

Screen 2: Product selection

Screen 3: Information entry

Screens n: User data validation, Security validations, Product applicability validations

...until the product can (or cant) be obtained.

We are having difficulty establishing how user stories could be created in a way that generates value. Taking into consideration that, for the product to be functional and deployable, the entire flow must be complete, and we have dependencies on other teams, for example to create services that can be used to validate certain information.

So we're having a hard time finding an optimal way to create the user stories so that something incremental and potentially deployable can be delivered at the end of the sprint. Any ideas or suggestions based on your experiences?

Thanks

J

04:19 am September 27, 2022

What would you be using Sprints for? What experiments would you conduct and how would you apply validated learning?

It sounds as though, rather than using Scrum, you've done design up-front and are happy to take a significant leap-of-faith before a release is made.

02:54 pm September 27, 2022

Have you considered that you can create functional code that is not surfaced to the customer and deploy that to Production?  It may not have anything that uses it but it can be completely functional.  Don't fall into the trap of thinking it all has to be ready before it can be deployed.  

@Ian's question is a great!  Think about how you would answer that and it can help you start to understand how to slice.  Think more about the results you want to see rather than the functionality you are trying to deliver. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.