Skip to main content

Who conducts the Release Readiness Meeting

Last post 02:31 am October 24, 2015 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
03:20 pm October 23, 2015

Hello,

I am a developer and fairly new to SCRUM. I have recently been assigned the task of conducting a release readiness meeting. My question is, is it not the Product Owner's role to do this?

Any insight will help.

Thanks,
Hiro

05:02 pm October 23, 2015

Hiro,

There is no assigning in Scrum. Assigning work is a symptom of traditional command and control practices that have no place in Scrum.

The Product Owner is responsible for selecting release points for completed stories, in order to maximize business value. I do not believe the Scrum Guide dictates responsibility for release-related activities.

That said, a few questions:

- Who is the one doing the assigning?

- What does your Definition of Done include? Are releases still managed outside of the sprint?

- What criteria make up your organization's Release Readiness? Can any of these criteria be performed for stories within the sprint they are developed in? If not, why?

02:31 am October 24, 2015

What do you hope to accomplish by having a "release readiness" meeting? What information would it provide about "release readiness" that you don't already know?

In Scrum, the Sprint Backlog is the forecast of work needed to deliver a potentially releasable increment which satisfies the Sprint Goal and the Definition of Done. The work must be fully integrated and fit for release at the Product Owner's discretion by the end of the Sprint, even where multiple teams are involved.

Why then do you need a special meeting for release readiness? The Sprint Backlog should be updated and replanned in the Daily Scrum, or more often if necessary. At any point in a Sprint it should be possible for the remaining work to be summed using predictive measures such as task burndown charts. Do you have that transparency in place?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.