who creates the Sprint Goal?

Last post 04:51 pm July 31, 2019
by Timothy Baffa
10 replies
Author

Hi All,

I cam across this question from Mikael Lapshin quiz
Who is responsible for crafting the Sprint Goal?
The Scrum Team
The Product Owner
The Scrum Master
The Development Team
The Key Stakeholders

The correct answer given by Mikail is The Scrum Team, but i am bit confused on this because i see the following lines in the Scrum Guide

The Product Owner discusses the objective that the Sprint should achieve and the Product Backlog items that, if completed in the Sprint, would achieve the Sprint Goal.

This means to me that the PO comes with a Sprint goal and a list of PBI items which he thinks associates to the Sprint Goal and discusses about them to the Team

Help me in giving a good answer or correct answer for this

Thanks
Raji

10:25 am November 3, 2015

The Product Owner discusses the objective that the Sprint should achieve and the Product Backlog items that, if completed in the Sprint, would achieve the Sprint Goal.

It refers about achieve the Sprint Goal but question is about who crafts SG and scrum guide said:
"After the Development Team forecasts the Product Backlog items it will deliver in the Sprint, the Scrum Team crafts a Sprint Goal"
so Scrum Team crafts a SG :)

04:47 am November 4, 2015

Thank you :)

10:34 pm December 15, 2016

I just wanted to iterate my understanding of the sprint goal creation process, The questions asked are quite tricky at times

The Initial objective of the sprint is really something which the Product Owner brings onboard, The Scrum Guide specifically points this out by saying that the PO discusses the objective that the sprint should achieve, which really involves completing some of the product backlog

However the development team then reviews and based on its capacity and scope, agrees on some portion of the backlog items for the spring, This becomes the Sprint backlog,

Now the above Sprint backlog may not be the exact items from the backlog which the PO had in his/her mind to achieve the original Objective which he/she had in their mind, but based on the development teams item list, the scrum team collectively now updates this objective and this becomes the sprint Goal.

So i agree that the sprint goal is crafted by the entire scrum team, but the origin of the objective was the PO

11:19 pm December 15, 2016

I think that is a good analysis.

04:49 am March 7, 2017

I do agree that Scrum team will be responsible for Sprint goal.

On the same lines, Scrum Team should be responsible for creation of Sprint Backlog .. would appreciate if someone can confirm on this.

12:27 pm August 6, 2017

" In Part One, the Team and the Product Owner may also devise the Sprint Goal. This is a summary
statement of the Sprint objective, which ideally has a cohesive theme. The Sprint Goal also gives the
Team scope-flexibility regarding what they may actually deliver, because although they may have to
remove some item (since the Sprint is timeboxed), they should nevertheless commit to delivering
something tangible and “done” that is in the spirit of the Sprint Goal" (Scrum Primer 2.0).

Are there two answers corresponding as to who "may" (or) "should" devise the Sprint Goal?

09:32 am May 8, 2018

In scrum guide, it has been clearly mentioned that 'During Sprint Planning the Scrum Team also crafts a Sprint Goal'. Period.

07:45 pm September 23, 2018

Actually, it's not created by PO only, It is created during the Sprint Planning meeting by entire the Scrum Team.

11:02 am July 30, 2019

PO creates a PBI and he would be sure what stories needs to be moved to Sprint backlog  to achieve the Sprint Goal..

So based on his understanding the development team would choose the Items to the Sprint backlog is my understanding correct ?

04:51 pm July 31, 2019

Suresh, what does the Scrum Guide say about how the Sprint Backlog is formed?

Also, who does the Sprint Backlog belong to?