Skip to main content

Is Scrum damaging morale at your firm? - LinkedIn Pulse article by David Anderson

Last post 06:17 am January 12, 2016 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
09:04 am January 11, 2016

Hi All,

Seems like Scrum vs Kanban debate has made it to headlines (URL below) in 2016, and I was thinking it was over and people would have moved on. Got accused and personally attacked by the author (David Anderson of Kanban fame) as well. One thing I've learned from Scrum and use it everyday is the emphasis on "Courage" and how we should be showing it through our actions daily. But, still I get perturbed by such incidents and think as to where the professional standards and respect is heading towards?

Similar incident had happened earlier in another forum where I questioned the intent of a LKU trainer. Anyways, life is too short to make conclusions. Better to learn from it and see if we can utilize any of the learnings in existing or new engagements.

Happy Reading!!!

http://www.linkedin.com/pulse/scrum-damaging-morale-your-firm-david-and…

Regards,

Sunish Chabba

10:07 pm January 11, 2016

I agree Sunish the debate was giving a bad taste & it involved lot of "you are bad, I am good" kind of attacks & counter attacks. We don't expect such an ugly debate on social forums.

04:24 am January 12, 2016

They add this link https://medium.com/cto-school/ditching-scrum-for-kanban-the-best-decisi…
They blame a framework for the lack of hapiness in the team ?!
I really find it hard against Scrum. If the interactions among the team members are not good or if the moral is falling, it is a challange for the coach of the team. We are lucky because Scrum Teams are builded with their own coach inside !

In my context, Scrum Teams are happier than Waterfall Teams.
And I'm still waiting to see a true mature Kanban Team nearby...

06:17 am January 12, 2016

I read the LinkedIn post and I'm not convinced that Scrum is well understood, for example in matters of commitment-versus-forecast, teamwork, determinism, the replanning of a Sprint Backlog, the purpose of a Daily Scrum, and the importance of working from the premise that Scrum is indeed difficult to master.

However I would choose to view the content positively. At least the author is not attempting to interpret his own approach as *being* Scrum. If he did, it would make the application of Scrum even harder.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.