Skip to main content

Self-study for PSPO II

Last post 03:53 pm April 17, 2021 by Scott Anthony Keatinge
8 replies
05:33 am January 18, 2016

Good morning everyone,

I passed the PSPO I assessment and I would like to consider the PSPO II now. Unfortunately, for budget and time reasons, I may not be able to attend a training course.

What is the level of PSPO II assessment? Can anybody provide some insights on it? Has anybody attempted and passed with only self-study? Any suggestion to share?

On my side, I have a business administration and IT education. The former should help much on the team, organizational behavior, and theory of leadership aspects.

Thanks in advance,

Daniele

Anonymous
11:54 am January 18, 2016

Hello Daniele,

Thank you for your interest in Scrum and Scrum.org. We’re glad to learn that you wish to continue your Agile journey by pursuing a PSPO II certification. Please be aware that this credential is very difficult to earn, as it is used to demonstrate the certificate holder’s ability solve advanced, complex problems in real-world applications of Scrum. Anyone attempting the PSPO II should have advanced Scrum knowledge and in-depth experience prior to taking this assessment.

As a first step, we would recommend that you review the subject area score breakdown (bar graph) in your PSPO I results email, and then look through some of the resources in the correlating categories where you scored lower on the assessment:
https://www.scrum.org/Courses/Professional-Scrum-Product-Owner/PSPO-Sub…

One of the most helpful books is 'Scrum - A Pocket Guide' by Gunther Verheyen (it is a fairly short read, but a fantastic one): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9087537204/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?…

As the PSPO II asks questions based on complex situations that arise during the implementation of Scrum, nothing prepares you quite as thoroughly as real-world experience as a Product Owner. If you are currently a Product Owner or Scrum Practitioner, continuing to gain additional experience in a Scrum environment is hugely beneficial in developing the depth of knowledge and understanding that is needed to pass the PSPO II. Please also note that while we do encourage people to use "Scrum, and..." (as oppose to “Scrum, but…”) in practice, we can only assess people based on the core concepts outlined in the Scrum Guide, the industry-recognized source of Scrum. As such, while you may have been using Scrum in your organization, what you practice may not be in line with Scrum by the book.

Here are two separate links to pages that have been created by our Professional Scrum Trainers, offering preparation suggestions. The first one is geared for the PSM II assessment, but the suggestions can be used for the PSPO II as well:
http://webgate.ltd.uk/pass-professional-scrum-master-ii-psm-ii-assessme…
http://scrumorakel.de/blog/index.php?/archives/30-How-to-prepare-for-th… (Scroll toward the bottom half of this page to get to the portion addressing preparation for level II assessments).

Lastly, here is a link to a thread on our forums, where we have posted a sample question and answer for the essay questions that appear on the PSM II. Similar types of questions also appear on the PSPO II, so we feel this will still have relevant information for you: https://www.scrum.org/Forums/aft/1443#6257

We hope this information is of some help! Best of luck in your continued journey with Scrum, and enjoy your day!

06:21 am January 22, 2017

Dan,
Did you end up taking PSPO II with a self study approach? I am PSPO I certified and planning to take the next step. Appreciate your thoughts

- Sravs

04:16 pm May 6, 2019

Daniele, Sravanthi,

I am interested to know your progress on PSPO 2, self study method. I have passed the PSPO 1 and would like to make the next step.

I have quite a bit of experience in managing projects the traditional way, but have never been a product owner.

05:58 am January 7, 2020

Can you please share your journey for PSPO I?

03:40 am January 30, 2020

I have taken 4 certifications that include PSPO I, all through self study. I passed PSPO I with 92.5% nearly 2 years ago and now attempting again to bump my score to 95%.

In addion, I am seriously planning for PSPO II certification sometime soon and any tips and study recommendations are highly appreciated.

Btw I am full time working as PO past few years.

03:07 am February 1, 2020

Mohamed,

I self-studied for PSPO I using the Product Owner’s Learning Path and Scrum Owner’s Learning Path at scrum.org.

Best Wishes!

Melissa

10:24 pm February 24, 2020

HI @Trinadh, nice to see you here,hope you remember me from renewal days. did you finally give your PSPO II. 

If yes, please suggest on any resources you used to prepare.

03:53 pm April 17, 2021

I have just passed the PSPO II exam.  I found it harder than the PSM II exam. 

My self studies were to review the PSPO suggested reading, including rereading The Professional Product Owner book. 

I also relied upon the Scrum knowledge I have gained since December last year when studying for and passing in this order:  PSM I, PSK I, SPS, PSPO I & PSM II. 

Most of the questions were quite challenging and some of the scenarios were not covered in the book, which obviously made them all the more difficult for someone that doesn't have real-world PO experience. 

I just need to rack up the required years of PO experience before applying to become a PST and then taking the PSPO III. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.