How to pass the Scaled Professional Scrum (SPS) in #6 steps! Worked with me =)

Last post 07:02 pm February 12, 2018
by Jegadish Dhanapalan
14 replies
Author

Hello Team! I am very happy to say I passed the Scaled Professional Scrum – SPS – Certification Test and now I will share with you how was my preparation for it. I hope it really helps you to achieve your SPS - Scaled Professional Scrum- Certification too.

So let;s start:

Step #1: Read the Nexus Guide in your native language and really understand it!
Step #2: Read about Nexus real cases
Step #3 – Read the U.S. English Nexus guide version
Step #4: Start to do the Scaled Professional Scrum Open Assessment
Step #5 – Discuss the questions you answered wrongly in scrum community and forums
Step #6 – Some important tips during the test

I wrote an article with more details for each step. I hope you enjoy it:

http://getscrum.com/2016/02/14/how-to-pass-scaled-professional-scrum-sp…

Success, Peace and Hugs.
Eduardo Rodrigues Sucena
MBA | MCP | PSM | PSPO | SPS | Business Analyst

11:12 pm February 14, 2016

Congratulations Eduardo. I have question regarding "Step #2: Read about Nexus real cases", how to get it? Even in Scrum.org I don't find much. Do you have any other source for this?

06:39 pm February 15, 2016

Hello Pradip! I updated the article comments with the case studies I used in my preparation:

http://getscrum.com/2016/02/14/how-to-pass-scaled-professional-scrum-sp…

Please, leave your comment there too. Your opinion is very important.

Hugs.

10:58 pm May 24, 2016

Hi Eduardo,

I read your article and it was super helpful. I am planning to take the SPS in July. Are there any other real cases that you could point me towards? I would like to further my understanding of the logic because from your article I understood that in the exam the majority of questions will be scenario-based.

Best,
Jamal

05:47 am May 29, 2016

Hi,

personally, I worked a lot, I read the Nexus guide and I passed the Open assessments a lot to well understand the Nexus.
I passed others open assessments on mikhail lapshin and Simon Kneafsey sites.
I also read on Simon's site the nexus definitive guide. It helped me a lot to have another point of view and more explanations.

I hope my post will help you

03:57 pm August 16, 2017

Hello everyone,

I passed the Scaled Professional Scrum assessment today so i thought i should also share my own tips. Everything Eduardo wrote in the first post it true. If you stick to that, you will certainly pass. ANyway, this is what i did

1 - Read the Nexus Guide once every day for 10 days. Read to understand.

2 - On the fifth day of reading the Nexus Guide, i started reading Simon Kneafsey's 'Scaled Professional Scrum and Nexus Guide - The definitive edition' http://www.thescrummaster.co.uk/scrum/how-to-pass-the-scaled-profession… .It goes into a bit more detail and you will find this an invaluable source. 

3 - Take the open assessment on Scrum.org. There are only 15 questions in total so write down what you failed and read to understand the correct answer to the failed question. Rinse and repeat until you score 100% three times. 

4 - Take the open assessment on Simon Kneafsey's site. There are 20 questions and a few new ones appear each time you restart. Write down what you failed and read to understand the correct answer to the failed question. Rinse and repeat until you score 100% three times. 

5 - If there are any questions or aspects of the Nexus Guide you do not understand, ask people in the scrum.org community. 

6 - Read posts by people in the community and youtube videos regarding SPS

I think, if you do this and what other previous posters have mentioned, you will certainly pass. 

12:44 am August 21, 2017

Congratulations Opuada on passing your SPS assessment!!

And thank you all for sharing your valuable inputs on preparing for the SPS assessment. I just passed it with 92.5%.

Like Ben mentioned I also utilized Simon Kneafsey's site for his preparation steps, Definitive Guide and Practice Test. And of course I also used Scrum.org's Nexus Open and Mikhail Lapshin's Scaled Scrum Quiz as well.

Thanks a ton to Simon, Mikhail and of course to Scrum.org team for helping me get pass this assessment. All of the above said things really helped me to pass the SPS assessment my first attempt.

So with this assessment completed, I now earned all of these 4 Certificates PSM I, PSPO I, PSM II and SPS within the past month and a half time.

- Ashok

05:25 pm September 25, 2017

Hi Ashok/Eduardo

I am planning to take SPS certification. Can you please provide the link for Simon Kneafsey's sites for open assessments?

-Thanks

Supriya

12:09 am September 26, 2017

thescrummaster.co.uk

05:03 pm September 27, 2017

Thank You Chris!

05:59 pm September 27, 2017

Thanks for sharing valuable tips.

09:17 pm October 11, 2017

Thank you for valuable tips shared as above. It helped a lot. I could clear SPS certification.

03:10 am February 4, 2018

Thank you all. Eduardo, Benjamin, Opuada and Ashok - Your inputs helped me a lot to prepare. I passed the test with 92.5% and glad to join you guys and others as a certified SPS.

10:49 pm February 7, 2018

Congrats Jegadish. I have two questions:

1- Was there enough time to answer all questions and review ? 

2- Were the questions very difficult ? 

06:37 pm February 10, 2018

Thanks Rami. For your first question, yes, the time was enough to answer all the questions. I had only 2 minutes left to review after I answered all questions. Not all questions were difficult. It is a good blend of simple, medium and hard questions. So it was interesting and sometimes challenging. Overall, it was a great experience.