Skip to main content

Scrum Team Advice

Last post 09:39 am March 8, 2016 by Ludwig Harsch
1 reply
04:32 am March 2, 2016

Good Day Team,

I was hired as a Scrum Master and was assigned to a Senior level Development Team on an existing project. The team had adopted the Scrum framework, but slowly drifted away from it as the years progressed. The company needed someone to come back in and re introduce the framework correctly so as to mitigate the ongoing "firedrill" and reactive responses to issues.

I did an evaluation as soon as I got in and identified some gaps that need attention in order for us to be able to execute successful scrum practices. Some of my observations included:

1. Management buy in is at a minimum.
2. Scrum practices are diminishing due to "Regulatory deadlines" for the product and their clients.
3. More bugs are showing up due to "reactive" responses as opposed to "Proactive".
4. Team Velocity is not being measured.

During the past few weeks in the position I came up with some recommendations that spoke to each of these points. I wont be able to share all details since it is way to much information. But I wanted to get some advice on these points and hear other perspectives on what you would advise the team.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards

09:39 am March 8, 2016

Hi Kevin,
from the information you provide it seems as if you have to start from the beginning:
Teaching the organization, including Management, about the benefits of agile and Scrum,
Provide and enforce clear rules,
Coach the team how to continuously improve quality with agile practices,
Creating transparency, e.g. a transparent Product Backlog with estimations to enable empiricism.
This transparency might also help you to proof short-term wins and justify more change.
If you have any specific questions, I'm sure the community here will help you.
Best,
Ludwig

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.