Skip to main content

Applying a scrum to a small startup

Last post 06:53 pm January 16, 2023 by Ian Mitchell
1 reply
05:02 pm January 16, 2023

We are a small startup that curates specific content based on mobile app. 

My company has only eight employees. 

- 1 CEO 

- 2 backend developers 

- 1 full stack developer 

- 1 UXUI designer. 

- 1 marketer.

- 1 dog trainer

- 1 content editor. 

I understand that scrums work in teams. I'm having a hard time making a scrum team because the number of members in each position doesn't fit perfectly.

1. Is it right for the members of the scrum team to continue the project together without changing the members unless there is something special once it is decided?

Or, can the scrum members be different for each project?

2. If team members rarely change, do you keep team members the same only at the request of members? Or do I need to change my team members periodically (e.g., quarterly)?

3. If we're building a team, we're considering creating two teams with one backend developer per team, and UXUI designer and full stack developer participating in each team at the same time. 

In this case, the UXUI designer and the full stack developer will be on both scrum teams at the same time, so can I make a team like this?

If the above idea is wrong, how is it best to make a team?

(For your information, two backend developers can also do some front-end development.)

4. I think the CEO will play the role of PO. Does it matter if one person is in charge of multiple teams' POs? 

5. As far as I know, the sprint planning meeting is not conducted across the company, but by teams. However, if we proceed as in the above case, how can UXUI designers and full stack developers participate in the sprint planning meeting?

Should the Sprint Planning Meeting be held at different times, so that designers and full stack developers participate in each team meeting?

Or should we get together across the company and have a Sprint Planning meeting?

6. I think this is a little silly question. Operations team members such as marketers, dog trainers, and content editors rarely participate in app development.

In this case, does the development team work in an agile way and the people in the operation team work in a different way?

Then, you don't need people from the operation team to participate in the Sprint Planning meeting, do you?

Please understand that it is inconvenient to understand due to insufficient English.

06:53 pm January 16, 2023

Dog trainer is a new one on me but I love it and there's no reason why not.

1. Is it right for the members of the scrum team to continue the project together without changing the members unless there is something special once it is decided?
Or, can the scrum members be different for each project?

In Scrum the most important project is the Sprint, because that's the one which allows empirical process control to be established and maintained. If team membership must change each Sprint to ensure the Sprint Goal is met with an empirical outcome, then team membership may change accordingly. The important thing is for teams to self-organize this for themselves, and to recognize that there may be a drop in productivity until a new member beds in. Stability is valued for that reason.

2. If team members rarely change, do you keep team members the same only at the request of members? Or do I need to change my team members periodically (e.g., quarterly)?

You don't change them at all. Team members are not there to have things done to them by others. Self-organization is the key. It would be better to sponsor that approach and its outcomes.

3. If we're building a team, we're considering creating two teams with one backend developer per team, and UXUI designer and full stack developer participating in each team at the same time. 
In this case, the UXUI designer and the full stack developer will be on both scrum teams at the same time, so can I make a team like this?

You can't. They can. Help them to understand and explore the implications, so they can take ownership of the challenge and self-manage the situation most effectively for themselves.

If the above idea is wrong, how is it best to make a team?
(For your information, two backend developers can also do some front-end development.)

Why not create a bounded environment for them to self-organize within. Timebox it, with a clear goal (e.g. each team must be able to complete a Done and valuable increment of usable work) and rules (e.g. no more than X people in each team). Facilitate the workshop, all the time seeking to reveal rather than resolve.

4. I think the CEO will play the role of PO. Does it matter if one person is in charge of multiple teams' POs? 

The Product Owner is accountable for value. Why would a PO need someone "in charge" of them at all? 

5. As far as I know, the sprint planning meeting is not conducted across the company, but by teams. However, if we proceed as in the above case, how can UXUI designers and full stack developers participate in the sprint planning meeting?
Should the Sprint Planning Meeting be held at different times, so that designers and full stack developers participate in each team meeting?
Or should we get together across the company and have a Sprint Planning meeting?

Anyone who will be doing work to meet Sprint Planning commitments is a Developer and will need to be there.

How would they choose to self-organize their working patterns so these joint commitments can be framed and met?

6. I think this is a little silly question. Operations team members such as marketers, dog trainers, and content editors rarely participate in app development.
In this case, does the development team work in an agile way and the people in the operation team work in a different way?
Then, you don't need people from the operation team to participate in the Sprint Planning meeting, do you?

Perhaps not, but they could be invited if they have useful input to provide. They might need to be more actively involved in helping to refine Product Backlog items so they are then ready for Sprint Planning, such that the Developers are confident they can take on and complete that work.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.