Skip to main content

Experience using LeSS to scale up a scrum team

Last post 08:06 pm January 16, 2023 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
05:38 pm January 16, 2023

Hello, I would like to hear from anyone who has implemented Large-Scale Scrum (LeSS). 

• What problem were you trying to solve for your team? 
  • What was your experience using LeSS? 
  • In hindsight, what would you have done differently? 

Thank you. 

07:56 pm January 16, 2023

What problem were you trying to solve for your team?

I don't really understand this question. LeSS is a framework to help provide structure and coordination when you have multiple teams working on a single product and each team is using the Scrum framework. Anyone using LeSS should be solving the same general problem of having at least 3 Scrum Teams all building a single product.

What was your experience using LeSS?

My experiences have been very positive when I've used LeSS. It's more concrete than Nexus, more understandable than Scrum@Scale, and builds upon Scrum. I did have four teams that were at least comfortable with Scrum before starting to think about LeSS. Having something a little more concrete in terms of structures and practices made adopting easier and the regular retrospectives at the team and overall level helped to make sure we were on the right track with the approach.

In hindsight, what would you have done differently?

I'm not sure I would do anything different. However, we used LeSS as a guidance rather than implementing the framework explicitly. When our retrospectives wanted to try something that wasn't consistent with LeSS (or Scrum, even), we'd try it and see. Depending on the change, you're trying something new for a Sprint, or maybe a couple of Sprints, to get feedback. One example was instituting a Scrum of Scrums - LeSS says it is "recommended to not do this", but having the Scrum Master and a Developer or two from each team get together was helpful to coordinate and surface dependencies in the middle of a Sprint, for example.

08:06 pm January 16, 2023

Experience using LeSS to scale up a scrum team

Are you sure that's right? Wouldn't you use a framework like that to descale the challenge, so it can then be managed by the Scrum Teams themselves?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.